My Betta Is An Official Daredevil Extraordinaire!

GuppyGoddess

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My blue betta likes to jump out of the water. He's the only one out of my five who do this.

The deal is getting "serious" now as today, I lifted up the lid to feed him and he swam up to the front of the tank and jumped out *TOWARD* me and almost made it out! If he had jumped about 1/2" higher, he'd have went out mid-air and I would have either caught him or he would have flopped onto the dresser.

This would be cute except I'm worried about next time I change the water in the tank. The little guy is wild. lol!

Anyone else have a betta like this?

mine is very mellow (can't even make the little guy flare! hence why i keep him in my community tank, he is a huge marshmellow)

but bettas have a rep for jumping....many who have divided tanks have to keep the dividers a couple inches higher than the water level to keep each betta in his/her designated section

what is your bettas name? Daredevil sounds like a good one!

Sounds feisty! Hope he doesn't end up hurting himself.

I would double check your temp and water, though. Sometimes they jump when there is something wrong.

His name is "Blue." My son named him!

I think he may have bonked his head a few times as he's jumped around. lol The water is a steady 80 degrees. Should I lower the temp?

I had one years ago that was a jumper. I was young and stupid and did not see the writing on the wall. Needless to say I had to scrape him off the hardwood floor when I got home. -_-

Keep him covered.

I have a guy that when I first got him he loved to jump. As I was at college I had to be carefull that people didnt leave the lid off him if they feed him. I would always hear him trying to jump out at time. Know he is a yr old you dont hear him as much. Maybe its coz he just about 3 times the size as he was. LOL.

I also lost a girl for not keeping them cover'd. From then on they have always been cover'd.

My female does this. If I put food on a toothpick she will leap out and grab the food, and the cute part is if I slowly turn the toothpick in a circle it will look like she is a ballerina fish. :)

I have a guy that when I first got him he loved to jump. As I was at college I had to be carefull that people didnt leave the lid off him if they feed him. I would always hear him trying to jump out at time. Know he is a yr old you dont hear him as much. Maybe its coz he just about 3 times the size as he was. LOL.

I also lost a girl for not keeping them cover'd. From then on they have always been cover'd.
He's for sure covered! :) He doesn't even try to jump except when I open the lid to feed him or do a water change.

Keithp - your betta sounds so cute! Have you tried putting a betta pelet or a blood worm on the tip of your finger? It's funny because then the betta will "catch" the food and you can feel her nip you!

I have so much accidents with me female bettas, twice jumped and landed on the hood she got back in the tank on her own tho.

Also twice jumped and landed on carpet floor, once was feeding time, the other was she thought was feeding time. Was actually adding new fish.

Got stuck between a rock cave and aquarium glass, also got stuck in one of ornament window holes. Its kinda cute actually but I still giv them trouble for doing stuff like that. :D

My female does this. If I put food on a toothpick she will leap out and grab the food, and the cute part is if I slowly turn the toothpick in a circle it will look like she is a ballerina fish. :)

Hope she doesn't impale herself on the toothpick !!

Most reactions

Back