My betta boy

Tyler777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My betta boy had been sick n lost its colors n its always staying in one spot, usually on top of the heater or inside the ornament cave.
He still eats but doesn't swim much.
There are 3 corys inbthe tank with him but they're doing fine.
My wife was told to give him some meds bcause his fins looked rough n shredded so she gives him the meds daily.
I have a color changing ammonia detector that's supposed to be yellow if everything is fine but it's gray now I checked the water few days ago n there was 0.5 ammonia n a little bit of nitrates I forgot the number so I did a 25% water change. But that didn't change the color of the ammonia detector.
I'm thinking maybe the medicine is causing some little trouble with the water quality ? Plus betta boy n it's fins don't seem to b improving with the medicine.
Could the medicine doing something to the water ?
I included pics of betta boy at the top of the heater, the ammonia detector and the medicine box. I will take any advice or suggestion please

Attachments

• 20240831_082130.jpg
    20240831_082130.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240831_082120.jpg
    20240831_082120.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240831_082108.jpg
    20240831_082108.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 19
I believe erythromycin may be killing off the good backteria in the tank. I would do a 75% WC whenever the ammonia is at .25 or above. You may need to do daily WC till ammonia levels are less than .25. You need to get ammonia to zero. Nitrate should be at 20 or below.

You would be best to buy a proper test kit. API makes a good one that tests for PH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrate. Highly recommend you get it.

I wish you luck in getting your Betta back to good health.

Last edited:
I believe erythromycin may be killing off the good backteria in the tank. I would do a 75% WC whenever the ammonia is at .25 or above. You may need to do daily WC till ammonia levels are less than .25. You need to get ammonia to zero. Nitrate should be at 20 or below.

You would be best to buy a proper test kit. API makes a good one that tests for PH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrate. Highly recommend you get it.

I wish you luck in getting your Betta back to good health.
Thank you for your advice and opinion. I do have the Api test kit. I will check the water tomorrow and see what's going on. The other problem is trying to explain to my wife that the med she's putting there might be having him more than helping him or trying to stop her from dropping a anti ammonia ball which I already told her it doesn't work but you can't argue with a woman

Thank you for your advice and opinion. I do have the Api test kit. I will check the water tomorrow and see what's going on. The other problem is trying to explain to my wife that the med she's putting there might be harming him more than helping him or trying to stop her from dropping a anti ammonia ball which I already told her it doesn't work but you can't argue with a woman

He one of the most knowledgeable members on our site with decades of fish keeping experience.

Test again tomorrow. If ammonia is at .25 PPM or above, you need to do another 75% water change.

Most reactions

Back