My 40 Today

Ralphw62

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'll probably change it tomorrow as it seems too crowded or busy or something... too much stuff...

I see what you were going for.  One thought/suggestion is you should try to have more consistency with your environment.  I count 3 main decor pieces and each is different.  It doesn't look as natural since they are each so different.  You want to try and keep it as close to what you would find if you literally encapsulated 40G worth of a river or pond (for example).  There's nothing wrong with having rock and wood, but keep it to maybe 2 if you must have more than 1.  I think if you kept the wood and the lava rock and just added some more plants you would find it looks better. 

I have a 29G and after I have my tank setup and cycled I wish I had found a larger piece of driftwood as the decor centerpiece and built the surrounding environment off of that.  I've looked at a lot of different setups and that's the one thing I mildly regret with mine.  Hope this helps!  Either way, beautiful tank.

readilyhello,,,,, i have some ideas and I think a case of the flu
sad.png

I have some ideas  just need to decide which to keep;;;;;;

lava type rock

the flat grey stone which I have readdibly available

if I use the grey I will have to rely on my fish for color which I am leaning toward

and some wood

my 40 today....lol

well took out the lava completely...added some wood...built a rock wall with lots of hidey holes....spread the java moss out as ground cover,,, bought a couple new plants,,red one.. the one in the middle...betta something....some grass stuff... added a little more sand.

less crowded but still not right.... I'll get it....

I like this look a lot more!  Nice job!  What don't you like about it?  It kind of looks as though you're walking down a forest path with trees on the side and the sand in the middle.
smile.png

What do you think it's missing?  The only thing I could see missing is there is no "centerpiece", but the rock wall you built could qualify as that, it's just offset a bit.  Then again, the centerpiece doesn't always have to in the center.  My tank has 2 pieces of driftwood towards the tank edges and several plants and a zebra rock in the middle as opposed to having one centerpiece surrounded by other decor.

I had a rock slide.....thank god no body was hurt. just through it bach together.just stable for now...time for din and bed... have the flu i think,,,,,,

Also be glad a rock didn't hit the glass and shatter the tank.  It looks good like this too.  You could affix some plants to the rocks at strategic places and give it some more height and depth.

yeah..... maybe its a happy accident in the long run... the more i look at it the more its ok..

the ich battle is on day 2

I have a temp of 103 and really feel like dudu so think it will probably stay the same for today at least

I like what you're tying to do here. However it looks to straight at the front. you need to try and get it to curve round more so you've got more of a horseshoe shape. Maybe that big blue slate/rock that's in the middle is just flattening things at the front.

If that all makes sense! :)

Feel better.  I'd recommend increasing the temp in the tank 2-3 degrees per day until it reaches 84-86 degrees.  Hold it there for a few days until the ick dies off completely (zero signs on the fish).  That's really your only option considering you have live plants in the tank. I had an ick outbreak in one of my tanks and that did the trick.

Lunar Jetman said:
I like what you're tying to do here. However it looks to straight at the front. you need to try and get it to curve round more so you've got more of a horseshoe shape. Maybe that big blue slate/rock that's in the middle is just flattening things at the front.

If that all makes sense!
smile.png
yep... it does... ty

I'm just hoping that lighter rock darkens a bit otherwise I'll need to raid the garden some more....lol
BTW I squished a little danio this am felt really bad, I look over every rock with a flashlite before I move it for that reason. but things happen I guess....
what I really want is it to look as natural as possible, those light grey rocks kinda stick out.. get the feeling I'm not done?   lol

Gootz said:
Feel better.  I'd recommend increasing the temp in the tank 2-3 degrees per day until it reaches 84-86 degrees.  Hold it there for a few days until the ick dies off completely (zero signs on the fish).  That's really your only option considering you have live plants in the tank. I had an ick outbreak in one of my tanks and that did the trick.

its at 84.7 degrees today... 87 starts to kill fish (cherry barbs) so I'm being real careful. I have a nice little gang of cherries both males and females.....thanks

some of my old trys
working on it now again
I need to be very carfull with the little nooks and the java moss, I had to rescue my loach last night about midnight,,, was stuck in the moss in between the rocks

forumpic9.jpg

forumpic7thumb.jpg

forumpic6.jpg

forumpic3.jpg

forumpic2.jpg

forumpic13.jpg

forumpic11.jpg

I kinda like the first one best

Out of the pics you posted I like the first one most too.  I like the rock wall you have in your sig too, but it just needs a little more depth or curve to it.

Gootz said:
Out of the pics you posted I like the first one most too.  I like the rock wall you have in your sig too, but it just needs a little more depth or curve to it.
I agree 100% but due to the fact I'll be fighting Ich again and vucuuming alot I am keeping it simpler for now

Most reactions

Back