My 1st tank

rorrism

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post to this board after lurking for a couple of weeks.

Just thought I would let anyone who will listen know that I have purchased my first aquarium. It a Juwel Rekord 96 with a matching stand. I've done the rounds and seen about 5 LFS' and think I have sussed who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't

Anyway here's a pic of my tank. Any quggestion or comments for a useless newbie are very welcome.

Mark

Attachments

• xxA_tank.jpg
    xxA_tank.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 30
rorrism said:
that makes two of us, just a case of deciding what I want. Why do all the fish that I want grow huge?... ;)
I know the feeling, but at the start of a cycle mate, if you want to cycle with fish, you need HARDY fish, something like:
Swordtails
Platys
Betta(s) 1 Male per tank(unless partitioned).
Guppys(i think).
Ask your local fish shop, they should give you advice on what to have and what not to have, personally mine gave me a piece of paper and they said write down everythink that you like/want and they will check the list and tell me what i can have. Sadly everything i chose was a No No, but now 3weeks later, i can have the fish now, as my tanks finished its cycle :D.

Probably going to have a massive rise in ammonia soon though, because my new plec keeps pooing so much! lol.

Welcome to the forums..... :D :thumbs: .... Tank is looking nice, it could use a background poster on it IMO.... Looks good though... :kewlpics:

You can't see the background in the picture but there is a black one on there at the moment. ONce we've got some more stuff in there and some fish we'll see what it looks like and add a different one (I've checked and I can get in to do it without moving the tank).

I've spoken to the LFS about cycling with fish, interrestingly one shop wouldn't sell me fish to cycle with and wouldn't sell me fish until I had provided them with a water sample. I have since found all the fish they were selling cheaper from a closer store anyway.
It's a job trying to persuade the GF that this fish lark is a good idea though when she sees how much the whole thing is costing, will probably have to buy her another rabbit soon....

Can't remember which fish we were recommended to cycle with, I seem to remember that we were told to stear clear of guppys though as they were not hardy enough.

I'll hopefully get some pics up on Sunday when there are some fish and accessories in there,

MArk

nice looking tank! would look GREAT with 2 orange pikes and 20 neon tetras, but that's just me :D

AH! Evil live bares! How many gallons is it? By the looks of it it is kinda tall. I'd try a small angel pair and some "giant Neons" or cardinals. I would say moderate sized angels but they like to snack on cadinals and neons if they are small enough.

The tank dimensions are 81L x 46H x 36W cm and it is 96L.

I liked the look of the clown loaches they have at the LFS, the thing is I think they might get a toucj too big for the tank, any opinions. There were a few angels there as well that may be worth looking at.

Go for livebearers! They're pretty! and very easy to keep! :D lol

Personally, i would divide it and get a load of bettas, or some baby piranha... but thats just me...
:)

Jess

*EDIT - Just thought id mention, i didn't mean divide and put piranha's in... that would just be stupid.... :rolleyes: You knew what i meant! :D right...? lol

Most reactions

Back