My 130G Tank

Ryan_W

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been far too long since I popped up on here, so thought I'd update you all on my tank.

Current Stocking:

1x True Parrot Cichlid
1x Red Spotted Sev
1x Rotkeil Sev
1x Jack Dempsey
1x Jaguar Cichlid - Bought on 10 Oct 11
1x Rainbow Snakehead - Bought on 10 Oct 11
2x Bush Fish
1x L177
1x L333
1x L091
1x Jaguar Catfish
1x True SAE
5x Kuhli Loach
7x Congo Tetra
5x Albino Cory
5x Leopard Cory
6x Sterbai Cory
1x Platy (don't ask)

Here are some pics:

6237377896_b994e82f6d_z.jpg

6236861739_15e6018aef_z.jpg

6237376500_2e98ca92d7_z.jpg

6237377092_5c86acf571_z.jpg

6236855175_7bf9f097bd_z.jpg

6237379414_df2a3fef2a_z.jpg

6237380070_131cd19076_z.jpg

6236859107_229e94aaa3_z.jpg

6236858433_7fbddf3e4c_z.jpg

6237380944_2417b6a459_z.jpg

6237383326_ed7b7d63f3_z.jpg

Snakehead not looking too great after I found it on the kitchen floor! These things are proper escape artists!

6237384068_67c886a609_z.jpg

Moving house in the new year and will be upgrading to a 210g or 330g tank. Can't wait, my tank seems small now!

Thanks for looking,

Ryan

jaguar and Snakehead with Corys, bushfish, platys.... mate the stocking on this tank is bad.

Well I'm one who believes in trial and error than forum know it-alls..

My 9" Parrot, 7" Sevs and 6" JD have never attacked a tank mate. If fish are well kept, happy and fed accordingly, they tend not to bother other tank mates.

People say how aggressive JD's are and also Jags. Well my JD is a complete softy and has never caused any trouble. I'm raising the Jag from a juvi, so hopefully it will grow up to be a well behaved fish.

If I start losing fish, I'll move the smaller inhabitants to another tank, but I've not lost a fish in the last year, so I'm not going to start changing stocking around. The platy is only in there since I rescued it from a friend. It now thinks its a Congo Tetra?!

Jags are predators as are Snakeheads, wait and see what happens, you may as well stick some Piranha and a Red Tail Catfish in there to.

I'm no forum know it all either, i'm an experienced Cichlid keeper of 15 years, i have kept all of the fish that you currently have, i know what i'm talking about.

JD's in general are soft as #105###, they are nothing compared to a Parachromis.

If you don't want negative remarks, don't post on a public forum with a stocking so terrible.

Jaguars are in a different league of aggression compared to JD's ime.

Tank looks great tho, but I'd have some backup options, imo your new additions won't work long term.

From what I've heard you, well the other fish, are likely to get in trouble with the snakehead and jag, but sounds like you are ready to act when that time comes. I've also heard people fall in love with them so another big aggressive tank is likely in your future. :fun: But in the meantime what a beautiful tank. It has such an interesting footprint. Is it about 15 inches high? Any problems with the height? They usually say not but just curious with the bigger fish in there. Beautiful fish. That snakehead is incredible. And how the heck do you have plants in with them?

Anyway, thank so much for sharing this.

As others have said, long term the jag and snakehead could pose some problems with your current stock. But, it's always worth a try with juveniles to see if you can grow them up to interact with other fish that an newly introduced adult would simply not tolerate.

Anyway, can I say that your tank simply looks stunning. The sevs, JD and parrot in particular are just beautiful, and a tribute to your excellent care of them !!

Great looking tank and on the main nice stocking but I have to agree the Jaguar and the Snakehead are in totally different leagues to your other fish. JDs IMO have an unfair reputation on the whole as they are quite common and end up in smaller tanks than this however given the space your giving them they are going to be fine but I dont think you can compare the Jag to a JD in anyway Jags and all Parachromis are piscivors by nature and one day it will eat something they have huge huge mouths and can swallow fish near half their size at times.

In fairness I think that the Snakehead is a lesser worry than the Jag as these can work in tanks like this though less things like the cories quite well. But its still hit and miss - but IMO greater odds than the Jag.

I think the upgrade is a good idea but I would keep this tank as well and keep it as is and then set up the second big tank as a larger predator tank and keep big predatory cichlids like your Jag, a few Viejas with your Snakehead etc.

I know you have probably had enough of the negative but its a real shame that you added these two as it really detracts from peoples appreciation of the rest of your fish as they really are stunning!!

Wills

Your tank looks fantastic Ryan, i really like it! The shallowness makes the tank look about 10ft long!

Your photography is also amazing!

hi mate.

those fish have come along nicely, well done :good:

i do have to agree with some of the other comments though tbh. see how it goes but just keep an eye on the new additions when they start to grow a bit. its also nice to see a few fish i recognise all grown up :good:

hi mate.

i do have to agree with some of the other comments though tbh. see how it goes but just keep an eye on the new additions when they start to grow a bit. its also nice to see a few fish i recognise all grown up :good:

Pot

Kettle

Black

:lol:

hi mate.

Pot

Kettle

Black

:lol:
:grr: i am dealing with my issues of hungry catfish Frank on monday.... all will be fine then :lol:

The big issue with this Snakehead species is that it is a coldwater species. So adding it to a trop tank meant it was doomed from the start.

Most reactions

Back