Musk Turtles

adam12345

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey everyone. have always been interested in turtles and always wanted one but never new anything about them and though it would be hard to look after. and my local fish shop today i went in to get a male bn plec. after i got it i look around the store and saw they had turtles for sale lots of different types. so i asked about them and they recomened getting musk turtles. they looked great. understand they live for many years which is great! would be a good addidtion aswell as my fish tank. they do a starter kit which is a failry good size tank and everyhting u need. im really thinking about going to get it tomorrow. but i wanted to know if somone could give me some help with them?

are they a good pet to keep?

are they a good first turtle to keep?

easy to care for?

when small isit easy to tell females from males? and is it better to have one of each or not?

can i buy the turtles and the tank on same day? or like fish tank do i have to wait?

seems like alot like fish tank as in cleaning and conditioning the water. is there any advice people can give me?

thank you

Musk are definitely one of the most manageable turtle species to keep for life, which for these guys is around 55 years on average,

Sizewise they will not get any bigger than 4" Males slightly smaller although sexing isn't possible when young

The tank will need to be cycled as always and maintained like a fish tank, although turtles produce more solid waste so require twice the filtration minimum that you would normally have

What size/dimensions is the starter kit?

Musk are definitely one of the most manageable turtle species to keep for life, which for these guys is around 55 years on average,

Sizewise they will not get any bigger than 4" Males slightly smaller although sexing isn't possible when young

The tank will need to be cycled as always and maintained like a fish tank, although turtles produce more solid waste so require twice the filtration minimum that you would normally have

i brought the set up today. was a right disaster when i got it home put some water in it was leaking so had to go all the way back to get it changed. the people at the shop said that it didnt need to be cycled so i got 2 musk turtles. all set up looks great. the tank is 18"x18"x18". when they get bigger in a few years guessing i will have to upgrade. was going to get the bigger tank but didnt have any in stock. ive got floating pellets for them to eat but they seem to find it hard to eat them. they have to swim a inch up to the surfice to get the food and they seem to find it hard isit because there so young? also isit safe to use my gravel cleaner i use for my fish tank set up with my turtles? any tips on cleaning the tank?

cheers

i brought the set up today. was a right disaster when i got it home put some water in it was leaking so had to go all the way back to get it changed. the people at the shop said that it didnt need to be cycled so i got 2 musk turtles. all set up looks great. the tank is 18"x18"x18". when they get bigger in a few years guessing i will have to upgrade. was going to get the bigger tank but didnt have any in stock. ive got floating pellets for them to eat but they seem to find it hard to eat them. they have to swim a inch up to the surfice to get the food and they seem to find it hard isit because there so young? also isit safe to use my gravel cleaner i use for my fish tank set up with my turtles? any tips on cleaning the tank?

cheers
Congratulations on getting your first turtles! With love and care you will have a pet for life literally.(40-50 years)
DON'T put gravel in turtle tank unless it's very big as thye can easily swalloww gravel and die. Also, turtles ar VERY messy and a bare bottom tank is much easier to clean. Don't know how big your turtles are but if hatchlingsthey will need a few large rocks/pebbles when they need to come out of the water to rest and bask on. Larger turtles can use a floating turtle dock with ramp.Water needs to be heated so you will need a heater .

cheers
Congratulations on getting your first turtles! With love and care you will have a pet for life literally.(40-50 years)
DON'T put gravel in turtle tank unless it's very big as thye can easily swalloww gravel and die. Also, turtles ar VERY messy and a bare bottom tank is much easier to clean. Don't know how big your turtles are but if hatchlingsthey will need a few large rocks/pebbles when they need to come out of the water to rest and bask on. Larger turtles can use a floating turtle dock with ramp.Water needs to be heated so you will need a heater .

thank you! so glad i did get them. there great to watch. i have got gravel in there but its quite large so they wont be able to eat it. i have a basking area in there one of those shop brought ones but they dont seem to use it. so im thinking about getting more gravel to have a raised area so they can rest out of water. about the water temp. the bloke at the shop said it didnt need to be heated. ive used water treatment got lots of that beacuse of my fish tank. but should i put a heater in the turtle tank? and if i do wont the shudden shock of water temp kill them or anything? i need to get some more plants for them to swim around in and places to hide because 1 of them doesnt really like coming out of hiding at the moment so not sure if its even eaten. but my other one likes to explore his tank.

Congratulations! Common musks are lovely little guys to keep.

Firstly - a suitable Musk turtle home.

Musks are part of a group of turtles loosly classed as 'bottom walkers', that is to say that they don't so much swim as walk allong the bottom. As a result they are actually not the greatest swimmers, particularly when hatchlings. Baby musks will be a lot happier in relatively shallow enclosures (floor area is much more important than volume). The best things that I have found for raising this kind of turtle (Muds, Musks, etc. etc.) are plastic under bed storage boxs.

They measure about 32"x15" and are 5 or 6" high. With 4" of water these are perfect for hatchling muds and musks, and are pretty cheap too. Your 18x18 is fine, but similarly should not have more than four or so inches of water for them to be at their happiest (were you to fill it to the top they would exhaust themselves constantly having to struggle to the surface).

Gravel should be removed for a number of reasons - it presents a choking/impaction hazard, it makes cleaning a pain (more on this later) and in trying to burrow into it they may cause themselves damage if there are any sharp edges.

A basking area should be offered but will be rarely used (they just don't bask as much as the larger turtle familys), more important are things like hollow plastic logs/shelters to climb on/under. Bunches of oxygenating plants such as elodea and watercress (cheap bags from the supermarket, well rinsed) will provide cover, food and help improve water quality, so don't stint - but they will get destroyed so go for cheap ones and don't bother aquascaping, just let them float.

UV lighting must be provided. However heating the water is completely unnecesary - a total waste of time, these guys are hardy, their natural range in the wild extends as far as canada!

As for filtration/water treatment you really have to get into a totally seperate mindset from fishkeeping. Cycling is totally pointless unless you wish to keep fish with them (actually possible, I'll elaborate in a sec.), and unless your tap water is particularly nasty water treatments are also pretty optional (I'll use a little dechlor, but thats about it).

Musks actually enjoy a little muck at the bottom of their tank (if you look closely at their chins you'll see two little barbels for rooting around at the bottom), so its not critical to keep the tank spotless. By far the easiest method is to use a (small) cheap mechanical filter purely to remove waste material (in fishkeeping terms vastly under filtering) and simply wash it out in the tap every couple of days. with plenty of plants and a reasonable diet this should be adequate to keep the tank clean and healthy (with water changes every couple of weeks, straight from the tap).

This sounds HORRIFIC to a fishkeeper, but years of experience have taught me that the result is clear water, no smell and a small layer of muck at the bottom of the tank - perfect for Musks!

As I said above, Common musks are one of the few turtle species you can safely keep some fish with. Simply choose hardy, small and above all fast fish and the musks won't be able to catch them (generally, I mean I've lost one or two over the years so don't go for anything too expensive!). I've used Zebra danios, white cloud minnows and harlequin rasbora over the years quite successfully, and they help clean up some of the crap! Obviously if you intend to do this you will need a fish safe setup with correct filtering and so forth.

Well that was a bit of a mini essay! Hope it helps.

Alex.

Musks are part of a group of turtles loosly classed as 'bottom walkers', that is to say that they don't so much swim as walk allong the bottom. As a result they are actually not the greatest swimmers, particularly when hatchlings. Baby musks will be a lot happier in relatively shallow enclosures (floor area is much more important than volume). The best things that I have found for raising this kind of turtle (Muds, Musks, etc. etc.) are plastic under bed storage boxs.

They measure about 32"x15" and are 5 or 6" high. With 4" of water these are perfect for hatchling muds and musks, and are pretty cheap too. Your 18x18 is fine, but similarly should not have more than four or so inches of water for them to be at their happiest (were you to fill it to the top they would exhaust themselves constantly having to struggle to the surface).

Gravel should be removed for a number of reasons - it presents a choking/impaction hazard, it makes cleaning a pain (more on this later) and in trying to burrow into it they may cause themselves damage if there are any sharp edges.

A basking area should be offered but will be rarely used (they just don't bask as much as the larger turtle familys), more important are things like hollow plastic logs/shelters to climb on/under. Bunches of oxygenating plants such as elodea and watercress (cheap bags from the supermarket, well rinsed) will provide cover, food and help improve water quality, so don't stint - but they will get destroyed so go for cheap ones and don't bother aquascaping, just let them float.

UV lighting must be provided. However heating the water is completely unnecesary - a total waste of time, these guys are hardy, their natural range in the wild extends as far as canada!

As for filtration/water treatment you really have to get into a totally seperate mindset from fishkeeping. Cycling is totally pointless unless you wish to keep fish with them (actually possible, I'll elaborate in a sec.), and unless your tap water is particularly nasty water treatments are also pretty optional (I'll use a little dechlor, but thats about it).

Musks actually enjoy a little muck at the bottom of their tank (if you look closely at their chins you'll see two little barbels for rooting around at the bottom), so its not critical to keep the tank spotless. By far the easiest method is to use a (small) cheap mechanical filter purely to remove waste material (in fishkeeping terms vastly under filtering) and simply wash it out in the tap every couple of days. with plenty of plants and a reasonable diet this should be adequate to keep the tank clean and healthy (with water changes every couple of weeks, straight from the tap).

This sounds HORRIFIC to a fishkeeper, but years of experience have taught me that the result is clear water, no smell and a small layer of muck at the bottom of the tank - perfect for Musks!

As I said above, Common musks are one of the few turtle species you can safely keep some fish with. Simply choose hardy, small and above all fast fish and the musks won't be able to catch them (generally, I mean I've lost one or two over the years so don't go for anything too expensive!). I've used Zebra danios, white cloud minnows and harlequin rasbora over the years quite successfully, and they help clean up some of the crap! Obviously if you intend to do this you will need a fish safe setup with correct filtering and so forth.

Alex.

thanks for that information it was great. i have a few fake plants in the water which they love hiding in but will get some real ones soon. not expensive though as you say there just eat it. my water is only about 4 inches dep but they do seem to struggle a little though. so i might lower it a little.

NOW I NEED SOME HELP DESPERATLY WITH ONE THING!

i have two lights 1 long white light and a red one. i think the white one is my uv light. and my red one not sure what is for? anyway they told me to keep the red one on 24/7 and i came home from work just now and the red light has blown! really worried the turtles will die in the night! i hope someone can tell me that they can live without it for a few days! because i cant get one untill i finnish work tomoz! also going to make a new thread askign for help about this so sorry if u read it twice lol

thanks for that information it was great. i have a few fake plants in the water which they love hiding in but will get some real ones soon. not expensive though as you say there just eat it. my water is only about 4 inches dep but they do seem to struggle a little though. so i might lower it a little.

i have two lights 1 long white light and a red one. i think the white one is my uv light. and my red one not sure what is for? anyway they told me to keep the red one on 24/7 and i came home from work just now and the red light has blown! really worried the turtles will die in the night! i hope someone can tell me that they can live without it for a few days! because i cant get one untill i finnish work tomoz! also going to make a new thread askign for help about this so sorry if u read it twice lol

I'll reply properly in the other thread, but they'll be fine.

Alex.

Don't panic! Turtles are fine without lights for a while. I was told to let mine have as much natural daylight as possible and I let the adults out in an exercise pen every day. My hatchlings go out too for a couple of hours in a plastic tub at weekends. Did this all summer but will have to keep them indoors all the time with lights (i was told 4 hours/day is enough) in winter.

Yeah, its not worth being religious about it, I'd say four hour minimum. Natural daylight is good as long as it is direct - even a single pane of glass in a window will cut the UV levels so much as to be of negligable use (hense why you don't get sunburnt in a car, but the arm you hang out the window will!).

As for the excersise pen, which species are you keeping? The majority of mostly-aquatics (and most muds and musks definately fall into this category) will get pretty stressed if forcibly removed from their home and placed into an area with no access to the water.

Most reactions

Back