Mushrooms

andyk

Reaction score
Hi,
If i have a single mushroom coral in my reef will it reproduce?
cheers andy

Given the right conditions it may do.

They reproduce asexually usually by one of the following methods:

Budding - the parent coral loses a small piece of tissue by injury and this grows into an exact copy of the parent

Laceration - the coral moves across the rockwork and leaves residual tissue behind which grows into an exact copy of the parent

Fission - the coral divides across its length the form two identical corals

You can try 'fragging' the coral but this depends on how big it is atm

Its a green stripe mushroom and when fully out its about2-2 half inches

I personally wouldn't frag it atm as its a little samll and you could kill it, especially since you only have one. Place it in a moderate flow with medium lighting and it should grow well on its own and start to divide itself. Temperature is a big factor in coral propegation as it speeds up the metabolism of the coral but it is not recommended that you increase the tank temperature just to get your coral to grow a bit more as this can cause problems elsewhere in the tanks ecosystem.

A good safe way to get a mushroom to split is to put a rubber band around it. Give it about a week and it will start to split right down the rubber band. It is a good idea to only frag coral that has been in your system for at least six months. If it hasn't been there that long I'd just wait it out and see what happens.

OH YEAH....don't worry about having only one mushroom forever. SH

Most reactions

Back