Mudskippers

Saracirce

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone keeps or know anyone keeping mudskippers, besides big aquariums/research facilities? I think they're quite cute (like most gobies I've seen) and that it would be cool to keep one.

Mudskippers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudskipper
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile35.html

mudskipper-05a22011.jpg

2101218454_da94e59f26.jpg

By the way, I'm not looking to buy one, at least not yet. Just wondering/asking.

I've never kept them but my lfs sometimes has them in stock. if you can get hold of a cooy of Neale Monks 'Brackish' book there is an interesting chapter in there about them :good:

They are curious looking aren't they

Seffie x

Mudskippers aren't especially difficult to keep. They are extremely hardy animals, tolerant of a broad salinity range (though not permanently freshwater) and mostly very adaptable in terms of food (Boleophthalmus spp. are the exceptions). The species offered for sale vary in size from about 5 cm long to 25 cm long, and the bigger ones can be very aggressive, so you need to identify the species on sale carefully. The main thing to remember is these fish spend 90% of their time on land, so you're building a vivarium rather than an aquarium. Kept properly they become extremely tame, and can be very comical pets.

As Seffie says above, Richard Mleczko has written a big chapter on them in my brackish book. There's also a good species guide in the Aqualog brackish book. The basics of their care and a listing of the most commonly traded species is in my FAQ, if you're interested.

Cheers, Neale

i've caught them in devon a few times...

Nice creatures...

I HeardClown fish are realy hardy too! :eek:

But marine fish are TOO Much work for me.

No, you really haven't caught them in Devon. At least, not Devon, England. Mudskippers are strictly Indo-Pacific, with one exceptional species from West Africa. Those are blennies you've caught; at least one species, the Shanny, Lipophrys pholis, will hop onto damp seaweed to cool down when its rock pool homes get too warm.

Cheers, Neale

:S

Proberly.

But In one of my science lessons apparntly Some Monk fish? Or monk shark? Something Like that. From the carriban come into! British waters..

And there's been reports of killerwhales in Scotland!!

I Would Totally want to see Killerwhales one day! There just Buetiful!

If i could buy one i would!

Bare in mind thats alittle over 75 million On the tank maybe even more :p

In the UK at least, a monkfish is a species of anglerfish, Lophius piscatorius. The monk shark is something completely different, a type of dorsoventrally flattened shark also known as an angel shark, Squatina squatina. These aren't common in UK waters any more, having been severely overfished in the past. But they do occur now and again, particularly in the southwest.

The UK fish fauna actually has a surprising number of species found in the Caribbean as well. They are usually carried across the Atlantic on the Gulf Stream. If you know where to look, you can find things like triggerfish in the UK. It's debatable whether these subtropical species are actually established here all year round, but global warming may change that in time.

Cheers, Neale

Ohh..

What about reefs?

apparntly there on the rise in the UK.

So are tropical fish! Its confusing... :/

Reefs have always been present around the UK. A "reef" is simply a structure encrusted with plants and animals. Some are made by corals, but others are made by oysters and other marine invertebrates. Oyster reefs are quite common around the UK, and we also have some very famous coldwater coral reefs (Lophelia spp.) on the Atlantic coast in quite deep water. We do have some shallow water corals, including at least one photosynthetic species called the Devonshire cup coral (Caryophyllia smithii). While there may be changes in the marine fauna, we aren't likely to see coral reefs of the sort you see in the tropics. Even if the water got a bit warmer, the day length and light intensity aren't adequate.

Cheers, Neale

what about killer whales..?

i heard there after the seals in the water..

But im realy realy confused about them..

they say they live in Atlantic... witch is cold.

yet its too cold for them in our waters?

I Heard a few Pods of them have come into the scottish waters..

do you know anything about this?

And sorry if im ruining the topic..

i find marine life exciting and extruadenary. Yet very hard to keep marine fish.

Cool. Thanks for all the replies. I'll check out the FAQ. Like I need anymore ideas for keeping pets, but I've already got an idea for a vivarium for one. It doesn't take me long to think up things like this. I tend to get carried away with certain things. lol

And sorry I hadn't checked this all day. I was wreck this morning, having to euthanize one of my platies. I wasn't particularly fond of her and I know it was for the best but the idea of killing another living being... it sends shivers down my spine.

EDIT: Just finished reading the FAQ on them. Very good and informative. Much better then the other one I'd read and gives me a much better idea of what I want if I ever get one of these guys. They're definitely going on my wish list/dream fish list. :p

I would to have that reef in my aquarium. lol. Same goes for the states on those though. Especially on the New Jersey Shore.

Most reactions

Back