Mucky On Top?

whocky

Reaction score
Hi all

Abit hard to explain but at the moment I'm cycling a tank (20ltrs) ( so no fish ). The external filter is a eheim 2213 and is doing a good job well....

Apart from at the opposite corner to where the filter is in the tank there is like a film of muck laying on top of water ( I'm calling it muck but its like a thin layer of brown stuff ), other than this the water is pritty clear.

Does anyone know why or what this is? Also is it normal to see this on a new cycled tank?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Steve

Did you use sand for your substrate? Sometimes if its not over rinsed, a scum will develop at the surface in a dead/low flow spot. Just clean it off with a paper towel.

Hi all

Abit hard to explain but at the moment I'm cycling a tank (20ltrs) ( so no fish ). The external filter is a eheim 2213 and is doing a good job well....

Apart from at the opposite corner to where the filter is in the tank there is like a film of muck laying on top of water ( I'm calling it muck but its like a thin layer of brown stuff ), other than this the water is pritty clear.

Does anyone know why or what this is? Also is it normal to see this on a new cycled tank?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Steve

Try aiming the output jet towards the surface of the water so that the surface is agitated. I had a similar problem and I was told to make sure the surface of the water is being agitated. But once I did this, the film on the top would actually "mix" in with the water and I saw some debris floating around, but it was taken out by the filter.

Or, I also know the FLUVAL makes a surface skimmer, but I don't know about Eheim.

Most reactions

Back