mts...

Toney

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
20170215_230359-1.jpg
picked up another 55g today.

Uh oh :eek:
It's a really nice lookin' tank. What are you going to put in it?

Hah! I thought this mts was going to be about snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails to be exact but of course mts can refer to Multiple Tank Syndrome :lol:

I think this affects every fishkeeper I know of and is contagious! I personally have climbed down to now just 3 tanks ;)

But a nice tank btw, decent size so your stocking options are pretty good.
Whats the plans for this tank?

He already added water... what else should he add?

He already added water... what else should he add?

Ammonia springs to mind, to start the fishless cycling process ;)

Perhaps a couple of plants won't hurt and of course substrate and add some mts once the cycle is finished.......... :p

Hah! I thought this mts was going to be about snails, Malaysian Trumpet Snails to be exact but of course mts can refer to Multiple Tank Syndrome :lol:
I thought the same thing!

Great tank, can't wait to see what it becomes!

Not really sure what I'm gonna stock it with, couldn't sleep last night thinking about it.

20170216_085106.jpg

I've got Goldie at work now, with a seasoned powerhead filter. Gonna use some gravel out of my 40 also.

Goldie at work?

This suggests to me that you are doing a fish in cycle?

But since you mention this thread is 'mts', this means you already have tanks up and runing, even established?

If thats the case, getting a little of filter media from one of your established filters will do a great deal in helping kick starting your cycle, even some gravel / substrate from one of your other tanks also will help as this is likely to have some of the bacterias your need.

But if for reasons unknown, you are planning on doing a fish in cycle then, I would suggest perhaps reading these articles, they may be of help -

Rescuing A Fish In Cycle Gone Wild - Part I

Rescuing A Fish In Cycle Gone Wild - Part Il

But I have to say that we do not recommend fish in cycles as the chances of doing a cycle this way without harming 'Goldie' are slim. So it may be a good idea to try to do a Fishless Cycle, simply due to the fact if any mistakes are made then no livestock will get harmed or fatally damaged.

Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!

There are little reasons for doing a fish in cycle, a test kit and even ammonia can be readily available in the UK and USA by simply ordering online. And also some LFS do stock API Master Test kits. You could even go to a local hardware store where you can get Kleen Off for example which contains ammonia, this has been used by members of this forum, successfully, in doing a Fishless Cycle.

I'm going to disagree with Ch4rlie for this instance in one particular case, and agree with him in another...

1 - Goldie will be just fine in this case. The 'seasoned' powerhead for the tank appears to have ceramic media in place, and I assume this is ceramic media from one of the other tanks - hence the 'seasoned' bit of the discussion.

2 - One little goldfish in a tank that size (55 gallons) isn't going to create much ammonia at all, so the 'seasoned' bacteria in the powerhead will be more than sufficient to deal with the minimal ammonia production of that goldfish in a tank that size.

BUT...in this case, Goldie's efforts on your behalf will do very little, if anything to really establish that tank. The tank will be very rapidly, if not immediately, cycled for the bioload of a single small goldfish. I would assume that you are planning to have a far larger stocking in the future. At such time that you add the increased bioload, the tank will no longer be cycled (or even close to it) for a massive increase in the bioload.

Goldie's purpose here is basically to seed the tank with some waste product, which should help develop a little more bacteria than the tank would normally have during a fishless cycle, but ultimately, the bacteria colony for ammonia, nitrite, etc. are not going to be robust enough for a 'full tank' stocking in the future. Goldie is merely providing some ammonia to keep the current bacteria in the filter going... and little more than that.

I would recommend, regardless of your future use of 'established' media, substrate, etc. that you complete a 'test' with an ammonia dose of 3ppm to determine how close to cycled that volume of water really is for a full tank load of fish - WITHOUT Goldie in the tank, of course. Using more established media, substrate from an established tank, etc. will greatly reduce the time, and if you use enough of the material from other tanks, can even fully cycle the tank for any number of fish without a whole lot of time. But, a single fish in there right now means that the tank will only be cycled for that small little bioload. So... right now, nothing of any substantial benefit is really taking place in the tank.

I thought I was going to hear about trumpet snails, which I have been trying to get my hands on for my planted tank. The two that I got with a piece of soaked driftwood have seemingly disappeared in the 36gal and I have yet to see any babies....

Its a pity you live in the USA Demeter I would happily send you a few hundred if you lived closer.

I thought I was going to hear about trumpet snails, which I have been trying to get my hands on for my planted tank. The two that I got with a piece of soaked driftwood have seemingly disappeared in the 36gal and I have yet to see any babies....
What state ?I got 300 at least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'd be good with just a starter colony. I don't need several hundred for a couple 10 gallons and a 20gal tank, although I'm sure I will end up with that many if I ever get a few.

20170217_202601.jpg
got this and a ob last night.

I done away with the stand and put it on blocks. Already had a earthquake. ..

Most reactions

Back