MTS invasion. Problem?

Most people are put off MTS by finding a horde of them at night time when the lights are off, and they happened to have looked at the tank with the room light on. Personally I'm not bothered about how the tank looks when the lights are off so long as everything is healthy (fish thriving, plants growing, not too much algae and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in check). If you believe that the MTS are pushing your stocking density over the edge, or you just don't like the look of them, then you'll likely want to take action and get rid.

If you believe that the MTS are pushing your stocking density over the edge, or you just don't like the look of them, then you'll likely want to take action and get rid.
Perhaps a slight misconception...When I think of stock levels, I think of the number and size of the fish which translates to the amount of food being fed and the waste being produced. Since we don't directly feed snails, their food is basically the waste products making them bio-load neutral. (That statement may be pushing it some, but I think the point is made.)
Now there may be times when populations boom, but if/when the 'food' becomes scarce, the population will drop off...a natural ebb and flow. :)

MTS serve a useful purpose in planted tanks as they are a burrowing snail that keep the gravel aerated which helps more oxygen get to roots of plants and also keeping substrate from compacting and forming noxious gas pockets that are dangerous to fish. They also will clean algae off surfaces and eat detritus. While they can be unsightly they mostly come out at night. Also while copper will most definitely kill them its highly toxic to all inverts and is tough to get out of tank if one ever wants to have any other inverts in tank. Leaving a dish overnight with food in it and removing it in the morning with the accompanying snails is an effective way to manage MTS populations. As for assassin snails not a fan. If all one wants is assassin snails then yeah they are a good choice though one will still have to remove all the empty MTS shells manually.

:rofl: this issue about huge population of MTS was brought up in another post.
My answer there and is the same here, get a loach or bota. Both will eat the snails.
You didn't say what fish are kept. So I don't know if they will work for you.
Just find the right predator for the snails.

No, dont just buy a loach to eat some snails. Loach have their own requirements such as requiring a group of 5 at least, amongst other things.

Most reactions

Back