moving tank

bc1299

Reaction score
I am a college student and i will soon be moving home for winter break. I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight in how to best transport my fish and fishtank home (four hour trip). Thanks.

bc1299

Hi bc1299 :)

That would depend on several things. If you answer a few questions it would help. :nod:

First, how big is the tank? Where are you located--warm or cold climate? Will you be moving it by car? :unsure:

The tank is ten gallons. I am located in northern Ohio and will be moving the tank to southern Ohio, which is about a four hour drive. Finally, yes it will be by car.

IMO the best way to transport the fish is to put them in fish bags, the same way that the fish stores do it. Then place those bags in a styrofoam cooler to keep the temperature as even as possible.

The reasons for using bags are simple - they are neat, no water sploshing around everywhere. The fish can be bagged seperately to keep the water as clean as possible. Fish can last quite a while in well sealed bags, giving you time to set up the tank again. You can float the bags in the aquarium to makes sure the temperature matches before introducing the fish.

You can also bag your filter media in a similar way in order to preserve your bio-filter.

So I don't have to worry about airating the water that the fish are in or anything else like that? Also, what about my plecosthomus, can I bag him as well? Thanks for all the help.

bc1299

No problem, and no problem.

Other tips - don't feed them for 3 days before the move, that way they will not mess up the bags. Use fresh water in the bags instead of aquarium water, so that they are moved in clean, unpolluted conditions. Double bag them, placing the first bag upside down in the second bag - this will prevent small fish from getting squashed in the corners.

If you really want to go all out, take the fish to a local LFS and have them bag the fish for you using oxygen from their tanks - fish can go an amazing amount of time in the bags if you do this - up to 36 hours!

Hi bc1299 :)

Thecichlidaddict did a good job of describing what to do. :thumbs:

Keep in mind that you want to preserve as much of your bacteria as possible. This means saving at least 1/2 of the water from the tank and keeping the filter material and other items, such as decorations, plants, etc. wet. I do not know how low the temperature of the tank can drop before it harms the bacteria, but that is something to keep in mind, too. Of course, depending on the weather, you may have to put the entire tank inside the car to keep it from freezing. :eek:

As for the fish themselves, the most important thing is to keep them at a steady temperature. A rapid drop may cause them to develop a case of ich. The air in the bag will be their sole source of oxygen so be sure that the bags are big and there is plenty of air space on top of the water. The motion of the car will cause the surface of the water to move around and this will aerate the water.

Set up your tank immediately upon your arrival home and get the heater going so that you can get them back to normal as soon as possible. ;)

Enjoy your holidays and be sure to visit the forum while you are at home! :D

Not to start an argument, but I thought I'd mention that it is my opinion and experience that saving and transporting the aquarium water is actually not very beneficial, and not worth the effort. All of the bacteria that we are trying to save grows on the surfaces of things in the aquarium and filter, and are not free swimming. This means that the only water that needs to be saved is enough to keep the filter media, and if you wish the gravel, wet. :fish:

Hi thecichlidaddict :)

You would have a hard time starting an argument with me about something that is pretty much accepted fact. :no: There is LESS bacteria in the water than what is clinging to the filter, gravel, glass. plants, decorations, etc. And, right or wrong, you are entitled to have any opinion you want. :nod:

I do feel, however, that it is worthwhile to transport some of the water, for the bacteria (however much or little) as well as to avoid a possible shock to the fishes by putting them in water that may be quite different from what they are used to. True, they could probably survive it, but why add unnecessary stress? :dunno:

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I'll get all my fish home safe and sound :D , and then turn around and bring them back a month later. Thanks again.

bc1299

Instead of starting a new thread with the same topic, I decided to just post here. I was at t he store tonight and thought I had remembered people saying that they had bagged all of their fish in a bick "garbage" type/size bag. I bought two containers to put the bags in, and then bags. Is putting all the fish into one or two big bags (then putting the bags in containers) okay, or do they need to be bagged in smaller bags? I'm moving them about two and a half hours away.

Comments, ideas, and suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Pamela
aka Lizard

Hi lizard :)

It depends on how many fish you are transporting and how big they are.

I think that you have to use judgment about how much oxygen they will need for the trip and what is the best way you can move them while still keeping them warm enough. You will need to leave plenty of room in the bag for air. A big bag in a big container might provide more air space than they will get if they are bagged in little bags. It will also lose heat a little more slowly.

If you are taking them in the car, I think the motion will slosh the water around and, unless the bag is crowded, will oxygenate the water.

Why not just have the meteorology profesor look after them for you? :hey:

As far as the ten gallo tank goes you could drain out half of the water and thendrop all f the filter media down into the water. build some temporary scafolding around it (duct tape and 1 X 4'sperhaps) then stretch some serain rap over the top and fill the rest with oxyen. Every colledge has oxygen somewhere either they have it for chemistry or they have it for welding but it hasto be somewhere on campus.

Opcn

Most reactions

Back