Moving New Tank

Rover fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi guys i have just bought a 55 gallon Rena tropical fish tank but it comes with the fish, im going to pick it up tomorrow but im not sure how we are going to get all the fish and the tank to my house.

My questions are:

1) I must empty the tank to move it but what do i do with the fish?
2) I live five minutes drive away but it looks like i may need to take the stand, tank and fish seperate, which do i move first?
3) what do i need ready at my house before moving anything?
4) how do i set the tank back up?

basically what should i do and in what order?

Please help im excited about getting the tank but unsure what the best approach to moving it is. anyone with experience or a realistic solution please please help. im ringing the guy in the morning to sort out what to do, he wants to empty half the water out and leave all the fish in. if you ask me i would say this cant realy be done i would have thought at least putting the fish in buckets and recycleing some of the water back to the tank would be better but i realy dont have a clue.

the fish i can remember are:

14" plec
2 clown loach about 6"
2 black widow tetra
some cory
and others i cant remember but not big.

do you have a bath?... you could move the fish first in buckets stick them in temp the same water (take the filter/ heater with the fish)
put them all in the bath while you sort out the tank. then you will be in no rush.

move the stand before the tank so you can put the tank straight on it when you move that.

half empty the tanks into buckets (or something what will hold the water) net the fish out into the water. take them home.
id do it by moving
1 fish (filter and heater)
2 stand
3 tank

i moved a 2f tank with fish in it. (the sig one). the fish were baged up when i got there. but i moved it all at once. first thing i did when i got back was fill the tank with temp the same tap water put the heater filter in it (and tapsafe) then added the fish. then i set up the other tank.

If you do end up putting them in the bath while you're doing it, make sure you THOROUGHLY wash it down first to make sure there's no soap residue whatsoever.

Alternatively, you may wish to invest in some large, plastic boxes.

cheers guys, i dont feel as nervous now i might put them in the bath. Its going to be a busy day getting ready for the tank. Any ideas how to get the plec out all i can think is to just pick it out by hand.

I'd only use a plastic tub, not the bathtub. There's just no way to get it clean or residue-free enough to put fish in it. Much easier to get a plastic tub (or a tote, as we call them here, because they come with lids) because it's pretty easy to hang a filter on it and drape the heater over the side.

As said earlier, take a good deal of water out of the original tank, net the fish and put them and some of the old tank water into a 5g bucket to haul. Take home the fish with the heater and filter and get that going. Go back for the stand and bring it home and set it up. Then go get the tank, bring it home, fill it up with temperature matched and dechlorinated water, put in the heater and filter, and slowly introduce the fish. A very long day, but shouldn't be too difficult. Take photos and post them!

by the way, I'd find a new home for the pleco. He's only going to keep growing.

yeah i thought the same about the plec. Im almost sure its a common so will soon be causing problems. How the tank is decorated now isnt best suited to the fish within so ill have to go buy some bogwood and other plants soon after. Once its all set up ill take a few snap shots and post. ill also get some before and after pics on here once ive got the furniture i want for the tank, could probably get a three piece suite in for the plec lol

You're going to need some large buckets for water changes, may as well buy them now & use them for fish transport. A cooler work the same, as long as it's watertight.

Plecs are famous for getting stuck in nets. Wear some thick work gloves, as they have spines, drain the tank way down, and grab just behind the eyes, the bony part. Too far back & you'll grab muscle, plec will wiggle out, too far forward & it's too curved to grab. Don't be to concerned about any grunts or whistles the plec makes when you get it out of the water, this is common.

how did the move go?... pics when its set up?

hi guys. All went well with the move and everything setup. Ive taken a few pics and will upload soon hopefully, although im writing this on my phone because my pc has broken down and cant upload pics direct from my mobile.

I would just like to say thanks to those of you who put me on the right track. Cheers all.

tankWF.jpg
tankNF.jpg

wow looks nice =] how did you do the move in the end?

2 extra large buckets with lids and a lot of lifting, the fish were back in the tank within an hour or 2 and all seem well but will have a clearer view of how they are doing over the next few days. I spent all morning preparing for them and had 120ltr of water already treated and up to the the same temp. After this i slowly topped up the water and then left them to it.

Im still not sure just how many fish are in there as some were hiding in the hollow tank furniture when taken out making it easy and i suppose stressing them less. Im also not sure what fish some of them are.

Ill try and upload more pics of the fish this afternoon around 5pm so you can all have a look and give a shout out if you know what they are,

thanks again guys for all your support and advice.

Picture update.

All the fish look fine this afternoon and ive managed to take a few snapshots.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg

8.jpg
9.jpg
12.jpg

10.jpg
11.jpg

Wow ... now that's an interesting combination of fish!
w00t.gif
They all look good!

Most reactions

Back