Moving My Tank

jackel931

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys,

In a few weeks I'll be moving my 120 gallon (2ft width x4ft length) from my basement up to my first floor. It is an african cichlid tank housing 5 frontosas and one blue dolphin. I have regular play sand in the tank right now, which does not offer any buffer properties to the water (i.e. raising the PH). I was wondering if it would be safe to switch the substrate to crushed coral and african cichlid sand, to naturally raise the ph of the water without having to add chemicals. In the long run i think this would be healthier and also less costly then putting chemicals in the water. I was wondering if changing the substrate would mess with the beneficial bacteria in the tank. Also should I try to save as much of the water as possible? I have a Filstar xp4 filter that I am going to preserve by keeping the water in the filter as is to preserve the bacteria in that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys,

In a few weeks I'll be moving my 120 gallon (2ft width x4ft length) from my basement up to my first floor. It is an african cichlid tank housing 5 frontosas and one blue dolphin. I have regular play sand in the tank right now, which does not offer any buffer properties to the water (i.e. raising the PH). I was wondering if it would be safe to switch the substrate to crushed coral and african cichlid sand, to naturally raise the ph of the water without having to add chemicals. In the long run i think this would be healthier and also less costly then putting chemicals in the water. I was wondering if changing the substrate would mess with the beneficial bacteria in the tank. Also should I try to save as much of the water as possible? I have a Filstar xp4 filter that I am going to preserve by keeping the water in the filter as is to preserve the bacteria in that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

What is the PH without the Buffers?

dont know about buffering ph but 1 thing i do know is that a 120g tank full of water is extremely heavy. have you considered the structural implicaitons ie stress on the joists. after all you dont want to move the tank upstairs only for it to move back downstairs via the ceiling!! placing the tank on a sheet of ply would help spread the weight across more joists .

I agree with markandhisfish, i would get some one to make sure your floor can support that amount of weight.

if the tank is 120 UK Gallon, your looking at a 545Ltr body of water, with 1L of water weighing 1Kilo that means you will have 500KG+ of water, nevermind the added weight of the sand / corel, any orniments / decor in the tank, the filter & the weight of the tank and stand itself.

Thats more and half a ton sat in one spot constantly. i would have thought you may need some re enforcement doing if the floor is not concrete and will be rested on wooden joists.

the last thing you would want to happen is to move what i can only imagine a great looking tank of that size upstairs to find its made its way backdown again (through the ceiling) without any warning

if that did happen you could be looking at best case scenario of destroying your tank and killing the fish to worst case of severe structural damage of your house, and you know what insurance companies are like, theres bound to be a clause that they could turn round and say, the floor was never designed to hold that kind of weight in that kind of way, you didnt get a structure test done, nor advise us of this change of circumstance therefore this is your fault through neglegence, fix it yourself.

I

I'd just echo the previous comments about the weight you are planning to move upstairs. When I get my 6x2x2 tank it will either be on the concrete floor in the extension or I will be taking up the floor of the rear reception room and doubling up the joists.

I don't think your plans for changing the substrate will cause a problem - seems like a sensible time to do it. I strongly agree that using a substrate to buffer is better than adding chems.

Finally, depending upon how long the move takes, you shouldbe careful about the filter. The bacterial occupants within are all important, and if we are talking about a few hours switched off it will be bad. This is because even though you may keep it full of water the bacteria need oxygen to live as well. You might be better off emptying the filter water/muck/media and some more water into a large koi bag (available from most fish shops) and tying it up with about 50% air inside as well. This worked for me when moving my sisters tank and filters.

Best of luck....

Irf.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will definitely check the floors capabilities before I make the move. Thanks for all the concerns. I will update once i figure if the move is possible!

and ph without fish is about 7.2

Most reactions

Back