Moving into tropical.

JayOneOhh.

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've had a 125L room temperature tank for about 5 years. My son got a black moor as a Christmas present off a relative in a small circle bowl and things grew from there.

I've always wanted to keep tropical fish and i actually bought the heater (which ended up lost in the never ending wall to wall pile of stuff we keep in the garage) ....but as the Black Moor was our 1st fish, i thought i had to keep the water room temp...or in the winter, as our kitchen where the tank is stored gets cold...the black moors are happy enough even in the cooler water.....so I've never moved into the world of tropical fish.

I've learnt recently that black moors are actually pretty adaptable fish and live happy enough in warmer waters....and can live along side other tropical fish. So after plenty of digging around the garage, i found the heater and I've set the dial on top to 25°c. All seems happy with the fish. I also have 4 silver dollar tetras, which according to google should be living in warmer waters anyway...so they've been freezing their fins off for the past 3 years.

Sooo....thanks for reading so far, my question is, what tropical fish do you recommend to live happily alongside one big chunky black moor and his 4 silver dollar friends??
I don't want anyone getting nibbled at.

Thanks in advance and I'm happy to receive any tips on being a good responsible Tropical tank owner. It's a different ball game to gold fish.

Jay

Before you go any further, you need to know what the pH and hardness is of your water. With that info, some recommendations could be made.
You'll need a test kit to find this information out for yourself, although if you go to your water supplier's website, they should have that info for you somewhere within.

JayOneOhh said: It's a different ball game to gold fish.
Oh hello, not really, for some rare fish maybe but not in general, you don't know which fish you would like to have? Your thank is almost at the capacity limit, don't commit the mistake to put much to many fish! I would propose you to take an ancistrus, which is a little pleco species that feed the algae from the glasses and would like to have a little piece of wood in the tank (he is very adaptable), anyway it is really good to know the water parameters like hardeness, PH, and so on, if you don't know. And welcome I would like to say.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
How big are the current fish?

20211125_173733.jpg

those aren't silver dollars
they're some kind of genetically modified skirt tetra
if they were silver dollars they would be dead in your tank a long time ago

you have practically no cover in the form of plants, rockwork, or decoration so the tetras will undoubtedly be under a lot of stress, assuming your water parameters are in line
the current state of the tank is middlingly ok for a goldfish as long as the filtration is adequate and enough water changes are done, as they are very messy fish

do you have a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
you're probably close to max reasonable capacity with your current stocking

Most reactions

Back