Moving house soon.

nerfhearder69

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick question, I am planning to move house in the next fewe weeks for the first time since buying my juwel 70 last year. I am moving about one hours drive from where I currently live and would be interested in any hints and tips anyone has from experience to make this as smooth an operation as possible.

Go down to your LFS/LPS and ask if you can buy some of their bags that they transport their fish in. They are about 10-25 cents at my LPS. Then bag up all your fish in the bags and place them in a box, preferably packed in nicely so they don't go sloshing everywhere. :lol: Then just hope that they make it, I guess. Avoid feeding before you put them in their bags as you want to avoid as much waste as possible. :D I am sure they will do fine.

Don't feed for a few days before you move. get (or use if you have) a cooler. As was said, get bags from your lfs. Get a garbage bag that doesn't have any of that odor fighting this or that- just plain old plastic. bag the fish as youve seen done in fish stores - if you have an airpump use that to fill the bag with air. with the plastic bag try to get a decent amount of tank water and you can either bag or throw your filter media in there as well.

The cooler should help regulate temp as well as having more water (more water = more Calories of heat that have to escape to change the temp)

Having some tank water will transfer some bacteria but more importantly it will lessen the change in water params (although still don't just dump your fish in the tank, slowly acclimatize them).

Don't take so much water that you throw your back out trying to haul it.

I think that keeping your filter media wet is a fairly important thing, if it dries out and the bacteria die then your tank will re-cycle itself.

goodluck happy move

Thanks Guys,

I was planning on keeping all my tank water and transfering everything in a cooler but thought I could get away with just filling the cooler with water (after steralising it) and letting the fish swim free but I guess if I'm to carry the filter material in water too then bags are the best idea. I was also planning to keep my bog wood immersed on the trip and leave a little water in the bottom of my tank to keep the plants moist. I know it's really a matter of crossing ones fingers and hoping for the best but I promis I will post a blow by blow description of the move for everone's benefit.

Most reactions

Back