Moving Betta To College

somethinfishy

Reaction score
So I'm going to college in the fall, and I can have a tank no larger than 5 gallons, and no heater. I decided to go with a 5 gal and get a betta. My question is, how do I get it into my dorm room? Should I set it up and let it cycle now, and then remove half of the water when i take it into my dorm room or should I wait till I'm in my dorm room to set it up? I want to do whats best for the little guy, of course :good:

You can set it up now and cycle it so long as your filter is not turned off for more than an hour to two hours since the bacteria will begin to die after the water stops passing through the filter.

I dont think it really matters since I had a power cut for at least 6 hours and my bacteria didn't die and I didn't have any toxic peaks in the tank either!! :)

Hey there, maybe I can lend a hand as I just moved back about 10 babies myself! I moved from PA to IL (about 10 hours) and all of my little ones had no problem with it.

First off, I got glass pasta sauce jars prepared (rinsed with bleach and water VERY thoroughly) and filled them with about three inches of water. I screwed the lids on (you can drill a hole in the top if you want; I didn't and they were fine) and most importantly I found was to place them in a duffel bag to keep them in the dark. Keeping them in the dark seemed to keep them in their sleep-like state for the entire ride. Seriously, they didn't even have stress lines the entire way back!

As for the water cycling issue. When I was tearing down their tanks I put the gravel in some heavy duty Ziploc bags with some of the already cycled water from their tank. When I set them up at home, the bacteria had survived and my tank was completely cycled from the get go.

I hope this helps you out! Good luck, but I'm sure he'll be just fine. :)

thank you so much! I only have to move him about 45 minutes away, hehe :good:

In that case, he should be more than fine! :) I just made sure they were the last packed up and the first thing to be unpacked and set up. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back