Moving an established tank

leafs

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just when my tank was nice and established, my wife wants to re-do are floors. :sly: I have a lot of live plants that are finally growing nicely in my 29 gal. I have to move the tank to another room, but I don't want to disturb the plants and fish. I also don't want to go through another cycling process. What would be the best way to go about this? It would only be for a day or two until the floors are done. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

You won't need to re- cycle your tank.

If it were as small as a 10 I'd say drain half the water and move it, then just fill it up (slowly) as if you did a 50% water change.

a 29... that will be very heavy if you don't drain it. The way I see it you have two choices:
1 bag your fish, drain your tank, move the tank, fill the tank, and then release your fish as you would if you just bought them (slow reaclimation to the water which might be a bit off from before) Then do the whole process over again

2 get yourself a rather large bucket/tub. fill it with your tank water, move both your filters and fish to that. Drain whatever is left in the tank (leave the substrate a bit wet) and move it. Then do the opposite to move it back.

Its not going to be too hard, but it won't be fun

I think I'm leaning towards your second suggestion. I really don't want to disturb the substrate and plants. It shouldn't be a problem moving it when the water is out, hopefully. Thanks for the advise.

The Way i'd do it would be closer to the second option.

Move a large amount of water into a container and add the fish and filter in there.

Remove mose of the water leaving about an inch in the bottom to cover your plants bottoms etc. or enough so you can move it.

The simply move it and do the process in reverse.

newland said:
The Way i'd do it would be closer to the second option.

Move a large amount of water into a container and add the fish and filter in there.

Remove mose of the water leaving about an inch in the bottom to cover your plants bottoms etc. or enough so you can move it.

The simply move it and do the process in reverse.
I think that's what I'll do. If I can get someone to help me carry it, I should be able to leave the plants and substrate undisturbed. Do you think I should change some of the water or just re-use all the water that I'll be taking out? I don't want to stress the fish too much.

Thanks

What does the tank stand on? I've moved larger tanks than that before without taking out the fish or filters. All I did was to take out as much water as possible (leaving in enough to cover all the fish), unplugged the filters and got a couple of friends to help lift up the whole caboodal to where it needed to go.

gadazobe said:
What does the tank stand on? I've moved larger tanks than that before without taking out the fish or filters. All I did was to take out as much water as possible (leaving in enough to cover all the fish), unplugged the filters and got a couple of friends to help lift up the whole caboodal to where it needed to go.
It's on a wooden stand that I bought with the tank. It's pretty sturdy, but it's a little heavy.

I guess I could get a few buddies to help me, but taking it off the stand and moving it without the stand shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with the move - just get the filters plugged in again as soon as you can and you shouldn't have any problems.

Most reactions

Back