Moving A 60 Litre Aquarium? And Some Other Questions.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flashing_Lights3005

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Biorb Life 60 litre. I'd like to set up a Tropical tank with maybe 2 species of tetras, 5 of each and 2 mollies? - If you guys think i've got enough space?

My real question however is that I plan to move house in December, around 25 minutes drive away. Do you guys reckon my fish could handle the move, if so how would I go about it? If not I guess i'll have to wait to set up my tank, at the moment its still in the box - and yes I know I have to cycle it beforehand, but say I were feeling a bit lazy, could I just buy cycled water from a pet shop?

Thanks in advance.

I wish it were that easy...

Unfortunately, it's not the water that needs to be cycled. It's (mainly) the filter that needs to be given time to produce and maintain the correct type and amount of bacteria capable of dealing with all the mess (ammonia + nitrate) produced by your fish. If you look up there, there's a 'Cycling your Tank' tab. It's a brilliant resource by our very own TTA that describes the process.

Other than that, though, it's perfectly possible for your fish to survive a 25 min journey. It takes me about 25mins to get home from one of my LFSs with fish in a bag, so yeah, no problem. Only thing is, in this case, I'd be tempted to wait (I know it's very hard!) as your filter will take several weeks to cycle anyway, 4-5 in some cases and if done correctly. You could set it up right away and get the cycle started with no fish and perhaps by the time you're ready to move, you could add fish straight away at your new humble abode!

Oh and perhaps the smaller types of tetra (neons) for a 60L tank and at least 6 each (they're shoaling fish). Not too sure about the mollies...an expert might be able to help with them...never had them, but I'm sure I've read something about salt...

It's not the water that is cycled but the bacteria that grow mostly in the filter and a bit in any substrate you may.
There's no shortcut unfortuantely unless you can get hold of Dr Tim's One and Only or Tetra Safe Start. They have some reasonably healthy bacteria in them whereas anything else doesn't.
Even then you'll need to go through the process of "growing" the bacteria so that they can support any fish you may put in.
The Biorbs aren't particularly good for fish ( how many do you know that swim in circles? They really need length to swim in
lol same time, fm!

Mamashack said:
It's not the water that is cycled but the bacteria that grow mostly in the filter and a bit in any substrate you may.
There's no shortcut unfortuantely unless you can get hold of Dr Tim's One and Only or Tetra Safe Start. They have some reasonably healthy bacteria in them whereas anything else doesn't.
Even then you'll need to go through the process of "growing" the bacteria so that they can support any fish you may put in.
The Biorbs aren't particularly good for fish ( how many do you know that swim in circles? They really need length to swim in

lol same time, fm!
Tehe, can't remember if it's great minds think alike or fools seldom differ! :)

Good point, though, mama, I've heard good things about the Dr. Tim's stuff.

The issue with Biorb Life tanks is that they have been developed with "Interior Design" as the driving factor, rather than suitability for fish, because, as we all know, fish are not real animals, do not feel pain, have a memory span of 4 seconds, so who cares.

With the Life range, the tanks are very tall and not very wide or long. This means that the surface area of the tank is very small compared with a "normal" 60 litre tank. Consequently, oxygenation of the water is restricted - the whole O2 in and CO2 out process happens at the surface. That bubble thing in the centre of the tank is again for "pretty, pretty", and has little effect on oxygen levels, other than causing the ripplies which allow the gas exchange processes to happen. Because there is relatively little surface area for the volume of water, there is relatively little oxygen in the water, meaning that you can't stock the tank to the same bioload as you would in a "normal" 60 litre tank.

There is also another consequence of the tall, thin, narrow design. The actual swimming room is restricted. I don't know of any fish that habitually swim vertically, they all swim horizontally. So where you might be OK with, say, a molly or two in a "normal" 60 litre tank, there isn't the room for a molly or two in the Life.

I would really be looking at the species suitable for a 40 litre tank.

Here are a few suggestions:-

A single betta, plus 6 chilli rasbora or 6 celestial pearl danio
8-9 chilli rasbora or celestial pearl danio
2 pairs (2m:2f) Peacock gudgeon (also known as peacock goby)
4-5 male endlers.

With regard to moving, you could potentially wait, but we're looking at at least 6 months, maybe more if you suffer any delays (What? Delays when moving house in the UK? Surely some mistake....).

I would fishless cycle as per the article by TwoTank Amin, that others have directed you to. When you stock the tank, keep the bags the fish come in. WHen it's time to move, pop the fish back into the bag(s), drain the tank down as far as possible, go to the new house, and set it all back up again. In an ideal world, the best thing to do is that the tank is the last thing out of the door in the old house, and the first thing in at the new house. I appreciate that practicalities might not allow this to happen. A compromise would be to find somewhere quiet for the fish, and release them into a large bucket until you can set the tank back up.

Try to keep the rocks in the bottom of the tank wet as much as you can, as this, I believe, is the filtration media for a Biorb (ie where the bacteria live), and keeping them wet will keep them at their optimum efficiency.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, lots of good tips there. Thanks for the stocking tips too, I originally wanted 2 shoals of small fish and one centerpiece fish. I would absolutely love a male betta but i've been advised against keeping them with other fish due to their temperament. .. ( :( )..

(sorry if this is posted twice)

With regards the betta, it all depends on the temperament of the individual fish.

I have read many reports of fish that would not tolerate any tankmates whatsoever - but that has never happened to me, but then I've only ever had 3 or 4 myself.

The generally accepted rule is not to keep them with any fish with bright colourful tails (eg guppies) that might confuse them into thinking that they were other male bettas and cause them to attack. This is why I recommended nano-fish such as CPDs and Chilli Rasbos. I have personally kept a betta with Chillis without issue.

I have also read many reports of bettas that have co-existed perfectly with guppies, and that seem to tolerate any tankmate.

I would certainly recommend getting a betta if you want one, but I'd suggest that he is the last addition to the tank, as this will (hopefully) stop him from claiming the entire tank as his territory.

Ok great thanks, i'll be off to the pet store tonight to get what I need to setup my tank and take it from there. Maybe they have some friendly bettas i'll be able to pick up once i've got everything else!

Its not cycled water you need its a cycled filter you need buddy not the water. Just normal tap water with added conditioner will do and add your cycled filter. If you have a filter already just add it in a tank of water sand leave it to cycle 4-6 wks to great the benefits bacteria if you clean the filter always clean it with the tank water only.

U can house bettas with other fish ad long as they are not identical to the betta with long fins etc... Female bettas do better then males together as male beyta. Tends to be more aggressive then the females but both can indeed be keeped with other friendly community fish such as goldfish, red tail sharks etc...

i got an Oscars , red tail shark, goldfish, pleco, and tin foil barb with my betta (male)in same tank all are like one happy family even thou Oscars are known to be aggressive mine i managed to integrate with time to mingle with the community tank mates.

Most reactions

Back