Moved Tank Help, Someone Gave Me This And I Am New To Salt

nice, that was the description i was looking for thank you. still not sure of the flow it will produce, but i can discover that when i get one working. thanks again.

Most people fill the tank to start with using de-chlorinated tapwater and then just use RO from then on as this primes the tank with trace elements so a 50gph unit would be fine for your requirements. If you choose to fill with RO from the start then just hook it up and leave it running as it shouldn't take much more than a day to fill your 55g + sump.

well even though it seems like a good idea to re do completely with fresh ro water, i will probably just introduce it with normal water changes. i now have my tank to the point where it seems like its stable, everything is looking better, even a couple of the coral shoots opened on one of the coral plants, so the idea of a complete water change seems like i would be tempting fate.

i have another issue/question...my tank is out in the garage which is a fully enclosed garage but not insulated. it gets pretty cold in here when its real cold outside. at some point i am thinking i will need a way to wrap the tank with some sort of blanket, or foam maybe, so that i might insulate the tank. also the tank has a water drain tube and water return tubes that are exposed in the back, which i am going to wrap with foam pipe insulation.

i was thinking a long sheet of 1 inch foam, the kind that has the plastic consistency to it might make a good insulating wrap.

also my tank has large open square areas on top, would it be a good idea to cover these with plexi glass or something. would this not slow evaporation, and maybe help hold heat in?

i would appreciate any advice, thoughts, suggestions, or experiences anyone has with such an issue.

Thick polystyrene cladding sheets or hot water tank lagging jackets would work and some sheets of acrylic to cover the holes on the top would be a very good idea.

Most reactions

Back