Moved My Fish To A New Tank! Need Help!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ive used Tetra Safe once or twice as its like the only thing pets at home used to sell, i can honestly say Seachem Safe is THE best dechlorinator on the market, as thousands will agree.
Check out warehouse-aquatics.co.uk
If you spend over £50 its free delivery, also they have offers on such as buy 3 seachem products and save 10%, its the cheapest place to buy from, and if you do find an item thats cheaper else where you can price match it instantly and buy it at the new price!
I tend to add everything to basket that i want and then google them in the shopping tab to see if there is any cheaper elsewhere (note they dont price match to ebay!) then add them at the new price.

Im sure all the bits you need, they will sell, they also deliver next day if you order before 3pm. So if you placed your order tomorrow before then for all the bits you need you would get it thursday morning!
They are pretty damn fast and reliable with delivery, and ive spent over £800 with them this year, each time its been a pleasure!

Safe is so strong that even the little 50g pot will treat 125,000!! gallons of water.
So if you treated your WHOLE tank when doing any water change, this little 50g pot would do 5000!!! (yes five thousand!) water changes, its amazing!
Hxoxoxoxoxo said:

Im sorry... Last question tonight...

What do you think of, if you've ever used them, the Tetra Safe and Clear tabs??? Only if I cannot find the Seachem in-store.

Seachem safe:

Seachem Safe is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water.

Safe removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia.

Safe converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tanks biofilter.

Safe may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity.

Seachem Safe detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.

Safe is non-acidic and will not impact pH.

Safe will not overactivate skimmers.

Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Directions:

To remove Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 60L (15 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 75L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 11L (3 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Do not overdose!

For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg.

To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 measures to each 40 L (10 gallons*). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified.

May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is >30C (86 F) cut dosing in half.

paradiddle said:
Ive used Tetra Safe once or twice as its like the only thing pets at home used to sell, i can honestly say Seachem Safe is THE best dechlorinator on the market, as thousands will agree.
Check out warehouse-aquatics.co.uk
If you spend over £50 its free delivery, also they have offers on such as buy 3 seachem products and save 10%, its the cheapest place to buy from, and if you do find an item thats cheaper else where you can price match it instantly and buy it at the new price!
I tend to add everything to basket that i want and then google them in the shopping tab to see if there is any cheaper elsewhere (note they dont price match to ebay!) then add them at the new price.

Im sure all the bits you need, they will sell, they also deliver next day if you order before 3pm. So if you placed your order tomorrow before then for all the bits you need you would get it thursday morning!
They are pretty Darn fast and reliable with delivery, and ive spent over £800 with them this year, each time its been a pleasure!

Safe is so strong that even the little 50g pot will treat 125,000!! gallons of water.
So if you treated your WHOLE tank when doing any water change, this little 50g pot would do 5000!!! (yes five thousand!) water changes, its amazing!

Im sorry... Last question tonight...

What do you think of, if you've ever used them, the Tetra Safe and Clear tabs??? Only if I cannot find the Seachem in-store.

Seachem safe:

Seachem Safe is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water.

Safe removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia.

Safe converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tanks biofilter.

Safe may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity.

Seachem Safe detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.

Safe is non-acidic and will not impact pH.

Safe will not overactivate skimmers.

Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Directions:

To remove Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 60L (15 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 75L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 11L (3 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Do not overdose!

For reference, 1 measure = 100 mg.

To detoxify nitrite/nitrate in an emergency situation use up to 5 measures to each 40 L (10 gallons*). Use fish to gauge toxicity reduction as test kits will still show presence of nitrite/nitrate even when detoxified.

May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. If temperature is >30C (86 F) cut dosing in half.

Thanks for that. I ordered SeaChem Safe and Prime online, although I'd probably only really be needing Safe, but with the dosage that's required, the product must be super concentrated, and that's great as it'll last a really long time, for the mean while I have Tetra AquaSafe and EasyBalance, Both are working great, although I feel as though my filter is breaking after a couple of weeks.

What I think I'll go for now is an External filter, However I don't want to be spending too much money on one, Any suggestions would be great. Anything under £50 would be great, but I'd be willing to spend an extra amount on a good one if it's last that test of time. (And it's gotta be super uber duper quiet.)

Thank you for all your advice so far, it's great being able to talk to someone who can give advice as and when he knows it.

Can you get the sunsun canister 402B in UK?  It is quiet, nice spray bar, UV bulb, won't suck in fry and small fish. Bought mine on ebay here in US.  Good price, and working well.

Sorry mate was at download festival!
I really like the tetratec external filters, my ex1200 is amazingly quiet, I have to put my hand against it or check the outflow spray bar to be sure it's still on!

Warehouse aquatics again is the best place for filters, cheap and you'll get it next day!

Sorry for the late reply, I've become fairly busy in the last few days.

Freedom said:
Can you get the sunsun canister 402B in UK?  It is quiet, nice spray bar, UV bulb, won't suck in fry and small fish. Bought mine on ebay here in US.  Good price, and working well.

Ohh... i'll have a look online, as well as in some of the stores around me, I like the idea of the UV light to help sanitise the water.

paradiddle said:
I really like the tetratec external filters, my ex1200 is amazingly quiet, I have to put my hand against it or check the outflow spray bar to be sure it's still on!

Warehouse aquatics again is the best place for filters, cheap and you'll get it next day!

I am a fan of Tetra, in fact all the solutions, and most of the equipment as well as food i have is Tetra. I've always though of the brant to have good Integrity, and I just like the name. lol... Thanks for the site, I've seen a few things on it, and will give it a good order soon, I'll have a look at the external filters on there too.

Thanks again guys!!! xoxo 

Freedom said:

paradiddle said:

Hi guys, Just a quick question, I've been testing my water every other day, and doing water changes if need be. The below results are what I've been getting most:

PH: 7.5 (Never Changed)
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrate: 12.5 (Never Changed)
Nitrite:  0.3

If I get results of more then 1.0 for ammonia, I conduct a 1/3 water change, and then test the day after. I've had a result of <0.3 for Nitrite, but it's been at a constant 0.3 for the last week or so.

What I wanted to know is am I on the last leg of my Cycle? Is it okay to introduce some more fish now? well up to 2 a month?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hey mate,
Sorry but you really need 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrate is less of an issue, but you want this to be as low as possible!
What test kit are you using?

Even with 0.25 ammonia you should do a water change of 30%, any more than that it should be 50-75% depending on the result.
ANY ammonia is toxic and to be constantly getting ammonia and nitrite is an indication that your filter isn't mature yet,
You need to keep on top of daily tests and water changes, a fish in cycle is very hard and tedious but stick at it.
I know the temptation is there to add fish because your results aren't as bad as they could be, but ammonia is a BIG no no and nitrite is still a big no no.

Like I said before where abouts do you live? I'd be more than happy to give you some mature media free of charge if your not too far away.

Also you probably know this already but whenever you add water make sure your using the water conditioner, and when you clean the filter make sure you use a bucket of tank water to rinse the media and filter parts in as many people make the mistake of running the media under the tap which will kill all your bacteria off and your back to horrible square one.

The nitrAte not changing is slightly weird as your replacing water which should lower it, you should test the water that comes out of your tap, if this contains any of these there's not a lot you can do really,
Only solution to bad tap water I'm afraid is buying RO water or buying your own system to make RO water, or simply collecting rain water if you don't live near a city centre that would pollute the rain water
(Collected rain water would still need a tap conditioner just to be safe if you choose this method)

Sorry, I bet that was more than you wanted to read :p

paradiddle said:
Hey mate,
Sorry but you really need 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrate is less of an issue, but you want this to be as low as possible!

Even with 0.25 ammonia you should do a water change of 30%, any more than that it should be 50-75% depending on the result.
ANY ammonia is toxic and to be constantly getting ammonia and nitrite is an indication that your filter isn't mature yet,
You need to keep on top of daily tests and water changes, a fish in cycle is very hard and tedious but stick at it.
I know the temptation is there to add fish because your results aren't as bad as they could be, but ammonia is a BIG no no and nitrite is still a big no no.

Like I said before where abouts do you live? I'd be more than happy to give you some mature media free of charge if your not too far away.

Also you probably know this already but whenever you add water make sure your using the water conditioner, and when you clean the filter make sure you use a bucket of tank water to rinse the media and filter parts in as many people make the mistake of running the media under the tap which will kill all your bacteria off and your back to horrible square one.

The nitrAte not changing is slightly weird as your replacing water which should lower it, you should test the water that comes out of your tap, if this contains any of these there's not a lot you can do really,
Only solution to bad tap water I'm afraid is buying RO water or buying your own system to make RO water, or simply collecting rain water if you don't live near a city centre that would pollute the rain water
(Collected rain water would still need a tap conditioner just to be safe if you choose this method)

Sorry, I bet that was more than you wanted to read
tongue2.gif

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I read your reply today, I was to get some fish tomorrow but will wait for 0 results. 

I am using the Tetra Liquid Testers. I was given these by the local aquatics store, as they said it was one of the best on the market. I live in the city centre of Manchester, and I didn't know i could use rain water, (It's always raining in Manchester), but as I'm in the city I wont due to pollutants. I generally am doing 30 - 40 % water changes every other day,  was told to not to daily changes, as it would stress the fish, and could cause illness. 

I don't really rate my filter. I'm using the Marina i110 Internal Filter atm, and to be honest, I'm not a big fan, I don't think its is actually cycling enough water though it, as one might think or want. Also my filter using Cartridges, which are sealed, the Carbon, and what looks like ceramic beads.... Not sure about the latter.

Thanks again for the reply, I'll wait out for 0 Results.

Glad you've decided to wait :) it's the right choice for the fish!
You can do 30% daily that's fine, fresher water will always do less damage than ammonia filled water.
If I happen to go to Manchester within the next week or so I'll let you know, and I'll bring a bottle full of media :p
When your test kit runs out I recommend the API liquid test kit I've always used that and it's spot on, around £28 too so not too bad for how long it will last, especially after cycling where you will test less frequently.
About your filter you can try an all pond solutions external from their website, haven't used one myself but have heard more good than bad, also a tetratec ex filter would suit you too, mines VERY quiet.
So quiet I'm looking to find the smallest model for my new 40L tank as I'm not a fan of internal filters, they just release mess into the tank aha
I would post you media but not sure on how well it would survive the transit lol
Give me a shout if you need help with anything tho :)
Hxoxoxoxoxo said:
Hey mate,
Sorry, I bet that was more than you wanted to read :p

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad I read your reply today, I was to get some fish tomorrow but will wait for 0 results. 

I am using the Tetra Liquid Testers. I was given these by the local aquatics store, as they said it was one of the best on the market. I live in the city centre of Manchester, and I didn't know i could use rain water, (It's always raining in Manchester), but as I'm in the city I wont due to pollutants. I generally am doing 30 - 40 % water changes every other day,  was told to not to daily changes, as it would stress the fish, and could cause illness. 

I don't really rate my filter. I'm using the Marina i110 Internal Filter atm, and to be honest, I'm not a big fan, I don't think its is actually cycling enough water though it, as one might think or want. Also my filter using Cartridges, which are sealed, the Carbon, and what looks like ceramic beads.... Not sure about the latter.

Hxoxoxoxoxo said:

Hey mate,

tongue2.gif

Correction... it's not ceramic beads... it's zeolite...

Hi again.

A quick question. If i want to upgrade my Aquarium Filter, how do i go about it? Im panning on upgrading to a External Filter. I have an Internal one at the moment, and I just don't think it's doing a good job, not what the doctor ordered.

I've been told to add the filter medium from the old filter into the new filter, which will help to eliminate or reduce a mini cycle, but There's no medium in my internal, It used a cage like mesh to hold beneficial bacteria.

Can I run both filters together for a number of weeks, allowing the beneficial bacteria to build up in the new filter? Will this work?

Thanks in advance.

paradiddle said:
Glad you've decided to wait
smile.png
it's the right choice for the fish!
You can do 30% daily that's fine, fresher water will always do less damage than ammonia filled water.
If I happen to go to Manchester within the next week or so I'll let you know, and I'll bring a bottle full of media
tongue2.gif

When your test kit runs out I recommend the API liquid test kit I've always used that and it's spot on, around £28 too so not too bad for how long it will last, especially after cycling where you will test less frequently.
About your filter you can try an all pond solutions external from their website, haven't used one myself but have heard more good than bad, also a tetratec ex filter would suit you too, mines VERY quiet.
So quiet I'm looking to find the smallest model for my new 40L tank as I'm not a fan of internal filters, they just release mess into the tank aha
I would post you media but not sure on how well it would survive the transit lol
Give me a shout if you need help with anything tho
smile.png

Hey mate,
tongue2.gif

Most reactions

Back