Motoro Sting Ray Help Please******

if thats the case why is his other ray ok it dont make sense surely the meds would of killed both rays?
i think there must of been a problem with the ray before the meds were added

not 100% true each rays are affected diffrent i find that females seam to be affected more with things like shipping and getting them settled into a new tank

one ray may go belly up the other may have stayed carmer but their is still the chance of inturnal damage

when i 1st started with rays and wasnt sure what meds to use and their was no internet to ask suprplyers on meds if they were ray safe i added some thing to a motoro leo tank the motoro went belly up but the leo was fine i put the tank on a 24hr overflow systerm to tank all the tank water and they were both fine

each ray is diffrent

i see :good: my first thought was the meds were to blame.just goes to show make one little mistake and you have a dead ray :(

rays are not hard to care for if you have big tanks and good filtration.there are plenty of success stories too :nod:

a 6x2x2 is ok for the smaller growing rays but bigger is allways better.
motoros are the easiest rays to breed as far as i know,i hope mine are gonna breed one day :hey:

just goes to show make one little mistake and you have a dead ray :(
which is why i will be abstaining for all time from owning any FW rays. too many horror stories.

The trick is dont make mistakes, if you make water changes your religion and research everything twice before trying anything different with the tank then there is very little that can go wrong.

I'm thinking of getting some small motoros, growing them on and then returning them or giving them away when they get too big, to see if I can handle rays

And where will you get rid of them to? Aquarists classifieds is full of people trying to sell motoros but the sad truth is that unless you have one with stunning markings or someone needs one of a certain sex or size for breeding then they are pretty much worthless to anyone other than you. Dont get me wrong i love my 3 motoros but i am under no illusions that they are even worth what i paid for them in financial terms.

Get something a little more sought after, they will cost you more but to be honest unless you are buying something like a tiger ray then theres not much in it in the care stakes from motoros to other species. That way when they are adults if you cant keep them at least you will be able to get some of your money back. Flower rays and pearl rays are fairly easy to get hold of in the right circles and there are a few other species about too, have a look at http://www.tropical-imports.co.uk/stock.htm who have a fairly good selection of rays.

Get something a little more sought after, they will cost you more but to be honest unless you are buying something like a tiger ray then theres not much in it in the care stakes from motoros to other species. That way when they are adults if you cant keep them at least you will be able to get some of your money back. Flower rays and pearl rays are fairly easy to get hold of in the right circles and there are a few other species about too, have a look at http://www.tropical-imports.co.uk/stock.htm who have a fairly good selection of rays.

your advice is always good :D

i never need to post anything after you have posted you are an asset to this site

scobina rays can be kept in a 6x2x2 and i think there are a few other smaller species too but im not to sure

Most reactions

Back