Motorcycle

Dorkhedeos

Boss Major
Reaction score
would a ride for a few miles on a motorcycle be way too stressful for a fish? should i keep the bag in a backpack or just leave it in the compartment in the motorcycle? thanks

I would say it would be, because of he shaking. Depends on what type of motorcycle

If it's a euro style motor bike harm would be quite minumum since they are very shock proo. But a harley pshh good luck sister

I think it would be very stressful because of the loud noises and vibrations and if you hit a pot hole or something they could bounce off the bike or since it wouldn't have as good of suspension as a car it would be a big jar. Do you not have a car?

well, i have access to a car, but i want to save some gas and time because i wont have to find parking. if i put it the fish in a backpack, wouldnt it be just as good as a car because my body will be like suspension? oh yeah, this is a dual purpose bike, so its pretty much just a dirt bike

Not a great idea for transporting fish. The fish would be trashed in the containers that you would transport them in. Even in a backpack you would only be lowering the vibration a very small amount. They would just travel thorugh your body into the backpack. In the best case scenario the fish would simply be slightly more stressed than usual and would recover within a few days completely. In a worst case scenario the fish would go into shock, lose most of their color and then get sick or die suddenly after being transported. Dirt bikes would be worse than a normal motorcycle. They generally don't ride as smoothly.

Picture this. Your swimming around a giant tank. Your scooped out along with fifty of your friends. Your put on an airplane(the cargo hold, not the comfy cabin), then onto a UPS or Mail truck. You arrive at new tank at the pet store. You float around for awhile, and the bag is cut open and you are dumped into this new tank. Just as you are getting comfortable in your new tank, and meeting your new neighbors, you are netted out again.

After all of that, do you really think a short ride on a motorcycle will stress the fish any more? I've bought fish on my Harley, and they lived. I asked the fish what they thought of the ride, but they never answered. I think the fish will be fine. The fact that your worried, leads me to believe that you will make the fish very comfortable once they are in your home.

Also depends on the fish. Certain species are delicate, and will die when you walk out of the store(not literally).

Putting the backpack on your stomach might help quite a bit in absorbing the shock. Also since the back pack is dark it would lower the stress. Bring some towels to pack the backpack with for a really snug fit. Then once you get them home, acclimate them really slowly with as dim a room as possible. And lots of stress coat. I think they might make it. A care would be nicer. But come on, you think the postal service employees really care about the fish. I think we are quite naive as to how rough a fish's travel can be. Still it would be nice to take as much unnecessary stress of the fish as possible.

I toss coolers of fish in the bed of my truck for auctions & swaps. It's 15 years old, has truck springs, when you hit a decent bump you know it. The fish do fine with this, a few bags in a backpack would probably have a smoother ride.

As far as noise, I've done various construction projects outside my fishroom with power tools. Didn't bother the fish a bit. Years ago in my long haired metal years we used to practice twice a week at the drummers house. He bred oscars, they didn't seem to mind the volume that would shake things off the shelfs once in a while.

would a ride for a few miles on a motorcycle be way too stressful for a fish?

lol, I've thought about doing this myself! My LFS is halfway down a road locally known as 'The Snake' which is a blast to ride down - lovely smooth surface, gentle bends and long straights through open countryside!

I've got a top box which I can fit to my bike and have wondered if I could carefully transport fish in it. As long as you ask the LFS to put plenty of air in the bag it might be okay with a little padding.

What bike have you got? An inline four might would give them a nice smooth ride, a twin slightly less so. Mines a BMW Scarver which is a single so it vibrates a bit in low gears!

:ninja:

Jon.

I think they should be ok in the back pack! Think of what it is like when the monsoons fill the lakes and rivers in the amazon! Come off it the water conditions change dramatically and the fish are fine after it they are tougher and more adaptable to change than what we give them credit for!

Most reactions

Back