Most Common Corydora Species

K.J.

LUK ITS A FUZBALL
Reaction score
At the moment I'm writing down a few species of my favorite fish/fish I'd like to have if I ever get a big aquarium and corydora's are on it. What is the most common kind to find in a petshop, or the easiest to care for? Thanks. :good:

At the moment I'm writing down a few species of my favorite fish/fish I'd like to have if I ever get a big aquarium and corydora's are on it. What is the most common kind to find in a petshop, or the easiest to care for? Thanks. :good:

I would say Bronze or Albino C. Aeneus.

The most common I've seen are albino and julii. This depends on where you live of course.

I'd agree that C aenus are most common. I got a bronze one first and she has produced lots of kids for me, which I have sold to my LPS and others. I was surprised that the LPS I sold them to seemed unfamiliar with the species, but said the albinos were so common they don't pay much for them. When I brought them in people were oohing and aaahing over how pretty and cute they were and saying thay'd never seen that kind before. At another store I was told that the albinos are very common , but that the "species" or "natural" color are harder to find, and they looked forward to getting some of mine.
I also see peppered corries pretty commonly but maybe a bout a dollar more expensive, and I've seen lots of pandas and "spotted", which could be C julii or shwartzi, which I'm pretty sure one of mine is, or thay can be some other species. somebody had a post with a link a while back with pictures of lots of different ones.

bronse corys and their albine counterparts are the most common, and pretty hardy, peperds are close behind aswell.

personaly i love my C. adolfi

Hi K.J. :)

It seems that the Bronze and/or Albino C. aeneus are the most frequently found corys these days, and with good reason. They are excellent first corys for a fishkeeper to start out with. They are sturdy little fish and quite active. The C. aeneus are corys with lots of personality, especially when kept in a nice sized school.

Since they were one of the first corys to be discovered and kept in home aquariums, they have been tank raised for generations. If you shop at an independently owned lfs, there is a good chance you might be able to buy some that were even hatched and raised by a cory keeper in your own area. This eliminates any problems that arise when they are shipped to various parts of the country/world and have to adjust to different water conditions.

I don't see many C. paleatus (peppered corys) these days, but I think they might still be readily available in other parts of the country and in the UK.

The one cory you are apt to see, and I wouldn't recommend to someone just starting with corys, is the C. panda. I'm starting to see them in the lfs often, but they are a bit more delicate than the other corys, and more likely to die if your tank conditions are less than ideal. They are by no means a "starter" fish.

Bronze, Peppered or Albino C. Aeneus up here. Just been into an LFS in Wyke and they had some trili's in..... but at £7 each he can keep em !

Cory Pandas can be found all over the place where I live. They're really easy to care for, they have a natural look to them, and they're cute~! :) I have 6 of them.

Most reactions

Back