More?

I would love to get a honey Gourmi! Could I just do 1 male? Or would I need more?
I wouldn't just do one. They do great in pairs/groups. They are one of the most peaceful gourami there is.

I would do a pair of females or a trio of 1 male with 2 females. Theyre social fish and do best with companions of their own kind.

Alternatively there are sparkling gourami too, but they're hard to sex and males can be little turds to each other. Theyre also a touch delicate compared to other gourami species. But pretty peaceful and a 29g would be enough space for quite a group of them... but they may be lost in it as theyre also the same size or so as the neon tetras and slow moving
20200128_060223.jpg

But I just looked on SeriouslyFish.com and it said that a group could be kept in 70 liters. That’s around 18.5 gallons. Why couldn’t I keep them in a 29g then? https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-rhodostomus/
I find that personal experiences, especially of those that are well experienced, often surpass care sheets. Seriouslyfish is a good site for information, but there is a lot that I disagree with. For instance it states that 28 degrees (82 F) is a suitable temperature for neon tetras, I wouldn't do them over 76. A 24 inch tank, which is what they recommend, is not big enough for rummynose imo. A 29 gallon is a good step up, but I wouldn't do both rummies and neons in such as tank. And of course as you've seen, there are those that feel a 29 is too small for rummies.

I would recommend to stick with the honey gourami, or focus on a smaller species of tetra/rasbora, such as ember tetras.

I find that personal experiences, especially of those that are well experienced, often surpass care sheets. Seriouslyfish is a good site for information, but there is a lot that I disagree with. For instance it states that 28 degrees (82 F) is a suitable temperature for neon tetras, I wouldn't do them over 76. A 24 inch tank, which is what they recommend, is not big enough for rummynose imo. A 29 gallon is a good step up, but I wouldn't do both rummies and neons in such as tank. And of course as you've seen, there are those that feel a 29 is too small for rummies.

I would recommend to stick with the honey gourami, or focus on a smaller species of tetra/rasbora, such as ember tetras.
Oh, I see...

I thought SF was the place to go, because that’s what everyone else told me. :/

But I just looked on SeriouslyFish.com and it said that a group could be kept in 70 liters. That’s around 18.5 gallons. Why couldn’t I keep them in a 29g then? https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hemigrammus-rhodostomus/

Hemigrammus rhodostomus is probably never seen in the hobby any longer, unless you happen to get it from a direct importer. The species now commonly called rummynose is Hemigrammus bleheri. This bit is just for your info...always use scientific names, as common names are at best questionable and often misleading, since they are "common" to the individual using the name but not necessarily others.

SF is currently offline so I cannot connect, but I will have this looked into when I can get in.

I agree on both issues mentioned. And, Bub, thanks for mentioning the neon error, that too will be looked into once I can gain access to SF.

Oh, I see...

It is, but no one is perfect and some of those profiles have been written for quite a time and revisions can be expected now and then.

It certainly is. It's my go to place alongside planetcatfish and a few others. But it can't always be right.
I agree on both issues mentioned. And, Bub, thanks for mentioning the neon error, that too will be looked into once I can gain access to SF.
It's impressive that you can sway things there. The neon thing has bugged me for a while, so it would be cool if it could be revised.

FYI, the profiles on SF have now been revised. Byron.

Reactions: Bub

Most reactions

Back