More Problems With My Fluval Edge

peter1979

Reaction score
I need some advice please people. I have been fishless cycling my edge tank and am in my qualifying week now. Just ordered my plants online and the moss has been delivered with some more arriving tomorrow.
Recently i had some problems with my filter, firstly when i got the tank home from the shop the filter unit was physically damaged and was leaking, so i travelled to 30miles to return it. Then my filter stopped working altogether. To day as i was arranging some bits in the tank i noticed that the plastic unit the tank stands on has a crack running up the front of it. This unit supports the 23 litres and if the crack makes it all the way to the to part (about an inch to go) its probably curtains for my office.
What should i do? im resigned to the possibility of making my 3rd trip back to the LFS but ive lost all faith in this tank. I could ask for my money back, but i have plants arriving tomorrow and my tank is all but cycled.

I have bought lots of bits for it, gravel, heater, rocks, wood, about 40quid worth of plants, leds etc. I really dont know what to do.

If it was me, i would want a complete new tank, not a Fluval Edge, sounds like its just not meant to be.

Take it back, exchange for new tank (take the media out of the fluval edge filter to put in your new one, if that makes sense.

if it was me, i would take it back, get the money back and buy an Arc tank. Keep your water from your old tank and keep the media in the water and as soon as you get home witht he new tank, get it set up with the old media.

if it was me, i would take it back, get the money back and buy an Arc tank. Keep your water from your old tank and keep the media in the water and as soon as you get home witht he new tank, get it set up with the old media.

Ok, seems like i might do that option. I cant find anywhere near me that sells the tank though. Plus i have these plants coming tomorrow. The LEDs that i got for the edge were 30 quid as well. But i guess you are right, it just seems like its not meant to be with this tank.

spoke to the LFS and agreed to take the tank back. The guy understood completely how frustrated i was. As they dont stock any other nano tanks apart from bio-orbs or fish 4 fun stuff, i called another store. The guy recommended either a wave cubo, aqua start 320 or tetra art, and i will go and look at them tomorrow morning.

Sounds frustrating and.. a hard decision. I agree it sounds like it just wasn't meant to be and the overall choice may not be one you would make now, BUT, you've invested in some things that specifically fit this tank and you've made various plans around this tank, so another angle of a hard decision might be to try to give the Edge one more go. Explain it to the manager and if they agree to give you an entirely new complete Fluval Edge system (with the understanding you would bring the troubled one back later after all the media and other transfers) then give it one more final go. AND, while you are re-qualifying the fishless cycling of the filter after the transfer I would also take a little time to keep searching for a source of the other type of recommended tank (in this thread) just in case this final attempt at the Edge doesn't work out.

I only describe this longer bit because it sounds familiar: I had a PetSmart tank that broke and made me want to switch to something completely different but I realized that I had invested in equipment to fit it and made other plans so I swallowed it and let them give me replacements and tried again, and it worked out ok so far.

~~waterdrop~~

I understand what you are saying waterdrop. I have bough 2 x LEDs that will really only fit the edge, a filter sponge, a CFL unit and probably a couple of other nits i wouldnt be able to use in the other aquariums (probably about 45 pounds worth of stuff), but i have had enough of it now. 4 faults in 3 weeks is enough to deal with, and i have to travel a 40 mile round trip each time. Im gona get up early and go investigate this other LFS and see the tanks the guy suggested. he was really helpful on the phone and sounded like he knew his stuff, he even told me abut the endlers he was getting in this week, i wish i had gone there first.

If the tank he has is a good one i will get it first, go home and transfer all the stuff into it, media included. And begin to cycle it again. The edge has had its day now. #40## thing.

I understand what you are saying waterdrop. I have bough 2 x LEDs that will really only fit the edge, a filter sponge, a CFL unit and probably a couple of other nits i wouldnt be able to use in the other aquariums (probably about 45 pounds worth of stuff), but i have had enough of it now. 4 faults in 3 weeks is enough to deal with, and i have to travel a 40 mile round trip each time. Im gona get up early and go investigate this other LFS and see the tanks the guy suggested. he was really helpful on the phone and sounded like he knew his stuff, he even told me abut the endlers he was getting in this week, i wish i had gone there first.

If the tank he has is a good one i will get it first, go home and transfer all the stuff into it, media included. And begin to cycle it again. The edge has had its day now. #40## thing.
Hi peter1979, I'm currently in the latter stages of a fishless cycle in my Edge 2, I have been fortunate enough that i havent had any problem with mine whatsoever, so it could have just been some bad luck. I'm interested in changing my Halogens to LED's, did u buy them online? Hopefully next week i will be decorating my tank and planting it up, cant wait!!! :good:

Hi peter1979, I'm currently in the latter stages of a fishless cycle in my Edge 2, I have been fortunate enough that i havent had any problem with mine whatsoever, so it could have just been some bad luck. I'm interested in changing my Halogens to LED's, did u buy them online? Hopefully next week i will be decorating my tank and planting it up, cant wait!!! :good:

Maybe you two could get together on an LED sale. :lol:

Craig, i bought them online for 15 quid each. If you are in the UK they are pretty hard to find. I can send you a link or if you have paypal and want to i will sell you mine for a discount. They are useless to me now and i was only going to put them on ebay myself.

You mught not fancy it but P@H stock the Aracadia Arc Tanks :good:

Who are p&h?? I have been looking at the arcdia tank, but i have to get a tank tomorrow and none of the LFS near me sell them, so im going to check out a wave cubo tomorrow, which i believe is similar.

I think P@H means Pets At Home, a big box pet store in the UK, but somebody can correct me if I'm wrong...

oh right, i checked them out online and it didnt mention the arc tank. i'll grab a look later.

I have the Arcadia Arc tank 35L and also have the Aqua Start 320.

Out of the two I definately prefer the Arcadia Arc, it is so much easier to scape and IMO looks so much nicer :good:

I have the Arcadia Arc tank 35L and also have the Aqua Start 320.

Out of the two I definately prefer the Arcadia Arc, it is so much easier to scape and IMO looks so much nicer :good:

I ended up getting the Wave Cubo 30litre from a place about 30 mins away from me called Parkers Aquatics, Iron Acton, Bristol. The guys in there were very helpful and full of advice. Definately not the pets at home lack of knowledge that you get round here. He only had a display model left, not with anything in tho. As he couldnt find the original instructions and a small part off the end of the uptake pipe was missing he gave me a discount. I was really pleased, and managed to find a part to fit the filterpipe at home.

I have it set up and planted, with my old tank water and filter media.

Now im selling the lighting for my fluval edge. Any offers? 2 x cool white LEDs and a cfl unit.

Most reactions

Back