More Cichlids...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bloodline

Reaction score
Hi I have 1 red zebra, Blue cobalt, Auratus, Convict and Green terror. I would like to get more cichlids. I want more color. My question is what are some cichilds that are not to much and look good. thanks.

IMO you already sound pretty well stocked. That is if the other fish in your sig are in there as well

Are figgur 8 pussers not brackish?
Yes, they are.

And that's not even the biggest problem with that stock list... :no:

bloodline, you can't just put random cichlids together without researching their needs and behavior. The fish you have are so fundamentally incompatible I don't even know where to start giving you advice. I would sincerely urge you to read about all of the fish you have and start making some decisions about the kind of tank you want, because that tank is a whole series of disasters waiting to happen.

I dont have all those fish. I deleted them from the list. But they still pop up.
55 Gal. it was set up October 25, 2005.
My fish are
1 red zebra
1 Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 Convict
1 Green terror
1 Auratus
1 Cory Thinking of getting rid of him
1 spotted pitcus catfish Thinking of getting rid of him

I keep the ph 7.0, My filter is a whisper 60, powerhead 170 gallon with DIY filter. temp is kept at around 80. Substrate is white gravel about 1 inch thick.

Am going to be changing the gravel to sand. how long should I wait till i put the fish back in. and I want more fish with more color. What are the common names. So i can walk in and order them. Thanks.

well its simple really get rid of the convict, and the Green Terror then ask the question again. its bad mojo to mix new worlds with africans. and even worse all in the name of color.

i have all kinds of african cichlids, and 4 striped convicts 2 females 2 males all to young for breeding still but they get along great and have been in tank for a while now together. and are al beautiful I love my female convicts they are gorgeous fish and mix nicely with the africans

All you guys are doing with these random 'I don't care' mixes is setting yourselves up for failure. When you have the best interests of the fish in mind I'll be pleased to help out. Right now as it stands if you're just going to throw what you like in the tank anyway, just go with what you want - the fish will work it all out amongst themselves in the end... their way.

All you guys are doing with these random 'I don't care' mixes is setting yourselves up for failure. When you have the best interests of the fish in mind I'll be pleased to help out. Right now as it stands if you're just going to throw what you like in the tank anyway, just go with what you want - the fish will work it all out amongst themselves in the end... their way.
*insert JAWS theme music here*

freddy is correct. when the cons start to breed they will kick the snot out of everything in your tank shannon belive me on that one.

bloodline. the GT is just going to claim the tank as its own and again beat the snot out of everything in that tank. I have mine divided from a 8.5 inch JD which is about 2+ inches bigger than her and she still broke down the divider and took out the entire middle of his tail. which is now almost totally healed not quite though and its been 6 months.

well i just found out that my green terror is a blue acara. Petco what a awsome store. lol not. Im planing on taking him out. I wanna keep the convict, if things start to get bad then ill take her out. Im still looking for a pretty schooling fish that stays small and that would hold up with my african cichlids. Thank you for all your help. oh and im going to be taking back the pictus and cory. I dont really need them do I? Thanks everyone. I would be even worse off than i am now if it wornt for everyone. thanks

Just wondering why you are keeping africans in a ph of 7. Dont no if you realise but they prefere things a bit harder then that, a ph of 8 is about right.

Also Corys are schooling fish and should be kept in groups. Also they don't like the pH your africans would want.

If you want to keep africans the best thing to do is to start with cichlids from one lake. And keep a few of one or two species. That way you can actually keep them in an enviroment they like. It's impossible to make a tank that is acceptable for both south american cichlids and african cichlids.

Most reactions

Back