More Carpet Questions

sjdriscoll

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope someone can help with this.

I got some glosso about two weeks ago and planted out in small clumps but it has failed miserably - only a few green bits left!
I have a lot of floating plants and so may need a less - light demanding plant (even though I have 3Wpg).

I have C02 and eco-complete and usual dosing with soft, slightly acidic water. Is Micro Sagittaria lilaeopsis a better option?
Has anyone else grown it? I really want a carpet effect in my tank. I got it bad!

Thanks for the help.

HC is short for "Hemianthus Callitrichoides"

Heres a picture of a tank full of HC
amanotank.jpg

Wow - that looks great!

Any good suppliers? - I can't seem to find it online - I usually use Java.

Thanks - I couldn't find it until I pasted it into their search engine. What a tricky site to navigate!

Cheers

You'll find HC needs co2, decent lighting and fert addition to get to carpet. If you failed with glosso then I dont think HC will fair much better. Carpet plants in low light tanks are always tricky, as low light by its very nature promotes plants to grow tall as they' search out' more light.

Sam

You'll find HC needs co2, decent lighting and fert addition to get to carpet. If you failed with glosso then I dont think HC will fair much better. Carpet plants in low light tanks are always tricky, as low light by its very nature promotes plants to grow tall as they' search out' more light.

Sam
Cheers - I'll cut down the surface plant area and reposition my spray bar to produce a clear area in the centre so that the light is not dissipated. I have Co2 and dose daily and I've got 3Wpg so fingers crossed.

I think I let my floating plants take over too much surface area. Do you think keeping them to 20% would be an ideal situation?

I take my hat off to anyone who can grow HC as beautifully as the above picture shows. I have 4 WPG tank, & very decent CO2 system & an expensive substrate( that should be able to support any plants) & I can't manage to grow it at all.

Either dies on me in a week, or doesn't take root at all & drifts to the surface.

I've given up on true carpeting plants & stick to dwarf sag & ET :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back