Moray eels

David

Neptune, god of the Sea
Reaction score
Just went to LFS and saw 3 different coloured baby morays peeking out of the eyes of a fake skull. It was so cute! :wub: I want one now. Any info on tank size, how big they get, what they eat, general care? I don't want one any time in the near future, I just want to know in case I decide to do it later on (after I have some experience in SW tanks).

eels are pretty hardy. sometimes it is difficult at first to get them to eat, but eventualy they will. they like large ammounts of space. at night, they will rome around. if you keep them in a small tank, they will climb out if you don't have a lid. they also like lot's of places to hide. my zebra moray never really comes out during the day. i had to buy a special feeder claw to feed my zebra and it took about two weeks for him to eat, which is okay because they can go several weeks without eating. my speckled eel ate the first night i bought him. honestly, they are great additions to the aquarium. they will eat smaller fish if they can catch one and some can grow very big, so do some research before you pick one out. good luck to ya, jim

yeah, I would just add that probably the best beginner moray
would be the snowflake, they are very hardy and more passive than some
other eels.but they are big for getting out of the tank, so make sure the top
is covered and secure. another good beginner is the chainlink moray, not
as colorful, but they stay pretty small and are docile too. ( but with all
morays, if not well fed, they will eat smaller tankmates,including crustaceans.

There was a snowflake there, but when I went back today it was gone. :/ Only the other two were left, one was a banana eel ($200.00 OMG) and another one (forgot the name) for $30.00. Since they are hardy would they be a good starter fish for someone looking into marine tanks for the first time (but with lots of experience in freshwater).

I think they would not be a bad choice, so long as you do
research on them, and keep nothing else in the tank until
you are familiar with caring for them.

I have a snowflake. :) They are good times. But yes... She hasn't gotten out yet... technically ;) But she has gotten half of her body out. :p Always when I am cleaning too or the tank water is a little low. So fun though. :)

Most reactions

Back