Moonlight Fittings

scubadoo

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been looking at the various options for moonlights (generally available on fleabay) and cant decide whether LED's or cold cathode tubes would be the best ?

You can now get both LED's & CC tubes suitable for mounting in and underwater in an aquarium (I actually want to mount mine in the hood), but I was wondering if anybody had any experiance of these, and which type was best, most economical and gave the best effect?

I made mine using 5 blue LEDs.

However, do find that they don't throw a huge amount of light into the tank...........

.......although......it does look quite like moonlight........not too bright........

....if you want to watch the fish.....you have to put all the lights out in the room, then wait until your eyes adjust to the light.....

.....I think I need more LEDs

cold cathode all the way - Have a look at my pinned artical in the DIY forum ;)

They give a lot better look when they are on... no bright spots, just an even lighting ;)

i have loads of experience with LEDS. i would pick leds over cold cathodes. just because i kno nothing about cold cathodes besides maybe they dont produce heat :p

nothing about cold cathodes besides maybe they dont produce heat
The difference between a cold cathode and a regular fluorescent is the cathode terminal is not deliberately heated, thus "cold cathode". They do get warm, and in A/C setups, can be to hot to touch.

the cold cathode are also generally more fragile and thus more prone to breaking and in need of replacement, where as the led's are very hardy and long lasting. though both are very cheep to run which is always a plus!! :good:

craig

hmmmm so they both have pluses and minuses :S

bottom line I suppose is just pick one and go for it !

I fancied the cold cathode cos I thought that the light was better, but if they get hot or are not really suitable in a wet environment maybee I'm safer with the led's.

If I went for led's, its a question of how many I s'pose - I'm guessing about 7 or 8, but I think that the wide angle version would be better to spread a more even light ?

any opinions?

many thanks for the info peeps

Looks like I'll probably go for led's if they are safer even tho' I think the cold cathode gives a better effect

I've used 2 cold cathodes for the past year in the hood of my tank. They must get covered with condensation as the hood does, but i havent had any problems with it yet.
Only problem i have is the leads from the cathode to the black box (circuitry) are a bit short, but i guess you can easily lengthen those. The black box i keep outside the tank.

actualy as long as the tubes don't go in the water, you would be fine with cold cathode. This is assuming they are the ones in the acrylic tube which would protect them from moisture. aslong as the inverter is away from the water (preferably down in the cabinet) you wont have any roblems. Cold cathode would give a much moe even effect, as LEDs are very directional and would provide pools of light and patches of dark...

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH :crazy: :crazy: :hyper:

Now what I thought I wanted was the cold cathode option - because the effect would be more even.

Take a look at these :

Single tube - submersible

2 12" tube system

Any thoughts as to which may be best?
Has anyone bought either of these systems ?

alternatively I could get these (but get one made up with about 7 or 8 lights (I dont think 3 would be enough for my tank) :

led string

Opinions?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back