Molly Pregnant?

^that isnt the best thing. Moving her back and forth could stress her and cause her to give birth to dead babies. I would leave her for a few days and see what happens.

^that isnt the best thing. Moving her back and forth could stress her and cause her to give birth to dead babies. I would leave her for a few days and see what happens.

Oh ok thought you were only suppose to leave them in there for a couple of days do you think I should leave her in there then?

Oh ok thought you were only suppose to leave them in there for a couple of days do you think I should leave her in there then?

Only leave her in a trap for 48 hours max.

i was told to put my molly in the breeding trap when she became "square" like in shape (roughly 5 days away from delivery). you should be awar if it hasnt already been mentioned that mollies usually give birth at dawn, so i was told anyway.

Ok so I take her out tomorrow then?

I do not know what to do conflicting information.

Stevie

It depends on how big the breeding trap is and whether there's a current passing through it. It also depends a bit on the temperament of the fish. I left one in a trap for four days until she dropped with no problems, the other died in 12 hours from stress.

Stevie

NEVER leave them in a trap for more than 48 hours, you will stress her to much and she may abort even if she aint ready and you will end up with loads of undeveloped eggs..

Stevie, i got over 10 years experience with livebearers and trust me, 48 hours max is all you should do :)

Its up to you if you take this advice but im just trying to make sure you do the right thing, not just for yourself but for your fish as well :)

Laura? :eek: 4 days (thats not good, it may have been ok this time but you have been lucky)...

Stevie

NEVER leave them in a trap for more than 48 hours, you will stress her to much and she may abort even if she aint ready and you will end up with loads of undeveloped eggs..

Stevie, i got over 10 years experience with livebearers and trust me, 48 hours max is all you should do :)

Its up to you if you take this advice but im just trying to make sure you do the right thing, not just for yourself but for your fish as well :)

Laura? :eek: 4 days (thats not good, it may have been ok this time but you have been lucky)...

Well she out of the trap now and hasn't given birth, I think I may leave her in the tank and chance it.

I did only leave her in the trap for 48 hours.

Thanks for all your help.

Stevie

If you are planning on leaving her in the mian tank, then just heavily plant it :)

Good luck

She still has not given birth, she is so big now.

i never use breeders they are bad will stress your fish and they can actually die.

Aaaargggh. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Everybody is right. Used badly traps are bad. Used properly they are OK. I don't use them myself but I have more tanks than I know what to do with, if space is limited then what is the alternative?

I have not spotted what molly you have, but I would trap a full sized sailfin with very, very, very great care as they are not really suitable for anything bigger than guppy, platy or maybe small swordtail size.

I usually move the female in when I'm positive she's birthing, i.e. you see babies coming out or see some swimming around. That way she stays in the trap for as short a time as possible. :)

Most reactions

Back