Molly hybrids

KeddyPie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if a cross between 2 differnt kind of mollies was for the livebearer forum or the hybrid forum.. I'm taking a wild guess here, but feel free to move it admins if you think it's more fitting to the livebearer forum.

In a tank with 1 balloon molly and 1 regular molly of opposite genders, how likely are they to breed (as opposed to 2 balloon mollies or 2 regular mollies) Does the likelyhood increase if a certain one of them is the female?

I'm debating on either getting a pair of baloon mollies, or a pair of 1 balloon and one regular molly. I want a male/female pair (for no particluar reason, I just prefer male/female pairs) and am willing to take care of fry and find good homes, and care for the ones I can not home... But I'd rather not have fry than have them. If a Balloon Molly and a regular Molly are less likely to have babies as opposed to 2 balloons, I'd rather go with that.

Throw Platy's into the mix... Liklyhood of a platy breeding with a molly or a balloon molly...

Balloons and regulars will breed together gladly, and actually produce some interesting fry.

Platies can't breed with Mollies, period. Different family, entirely. :)

They look so much like Mollies, I had no idea about platies! Something good to know, I suppose. Thanks!

Balloon mollies and 'regular' mollies are the same species. They'll breed just fine. The offspring aren't even considered hybrids. 'Balloons' are just a mutation of the natural look and is equivalent to a different color morph or a different fin variety. However, 'regular' mollies in themselves are usualy hybrids as there are several 'wild' species of molly which all readily inter-breed and several of which have contributed to a lot of what is labelled as 'regular'.

I keep regular mollies as well as balloon mollies together. The regulars are all females. The balloon males breed with the regular girls just like they breed with the balloon girls. They actually end up producing some really nice fry. They still have the round balloon look but are a little longer in length. I think they actually look more healthy :)

pretty much all mollys you buy in a store are hybrids, they are all teh same species but have been selectively bred into differant forms. as siad in another post balloon mollys are accually a deformity that has become popular among aquarium hobbiest and are not a specie of their own. yes, if it has molly in its name it will breed with anything else that has molly in its name. and no, even thogh a molly may try to knock up a platy and vice versa, nothing will come of the encounter, no freak babys :D

My male mollies both prefer the biggest fattest balloon molly over the longer versions of the balloon molly or regular molly females. My males are a sailfin, and a regular with lyre tail. They sex up my short, fat sweet organge creamsicle balloon molly 5x a day!

platys can not breed with mollys or the other way around, they are 2 totally differant fish. but the many varietys of molly can breed with each other, and in rare cases guppys have even crossed with mollys but platys are a whole differant kind of fish in general.

i have seen guppy tailed mollies a few times before

Kajuki18 said:
Molly's and Guppy's can hybridnize. They are called Muppies
[snapback]879758[/snapback]​

upside down catfish.i had one it played alot and then it just died for no reason but it awesome really supper cool awesome i think i might get another KO KO KA Kaboo

Guitar17 said:
upside down catfish.i had one it played alot and then it just died for no reason but it awesome really supper cool awesome i think i might get another KO KO KA Kaboo
[snapback]879816[/snapback]​
Are they ever going to get around to banning you, or what?

lol i think there should be a system where you just cast votes on people who need to banned, then mods wont have to look for em..

Most reactions

Back