Molly fish in labor trying to jump out of tank.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joker39quacky

Reaction score
Hello. My female Gold Doubloon molly is in labor, and while I was trying to fall asleep, I heard a splash and a thump, so I went over to my dresser and my molly fish is in labor. She's the only one in the tank, and I've already tested the water. I'm putting in some API Stress Coat.

Does your tank have a secure lid? I have not had any livebearers try jump out of a tank, let alone while birthing. Is there anything in or about the tank that may be causing her distress?

Hi Joker, I assume the thump was molly hitting the tank cover and not landing on the dresser. PJ

Hi Joker, I assume the thump was molly hitting the tank cover and not landing on the dresser. PJ
Yeah, I agree! Just try cover the gaps with different medium-weight objects, but just ensure there is still fresh air flowing through the surface.
Lazarus

Yes, she hit the tank cover. She hasn't tried it again, but I'm going to guess she was either stressed from me turning off the tank light so I could go to bed, or she was having a hard time giving birth. She is okay, and the babies came out good.

If you turned the tank light and the room light off at the same time, or close together it could well have startled her.

It is always advisable for the room to be lit either by daylight or room light for at least half an hour before the tank light is turned on and half an hour after the tank light is turned off. This gives the fish time to adjust.

Most reactions

Back