Molly Babies

cutesmile

Reaction score
at long last my white molly has given birth.
in the end she gave birth to 6 live fry, 3 dead fry and about 6 eggs.
daddy molly is black but all babies r white.

The dead fry and eggs is not a good sign, it could mean that she dilvered too early or was generally too stressed at various points in her pregnancy. How many gallons is the tank and what is its stocking (numbers, types and sizes of fish etc)? Did you put her in a breeding net or anything while she was pregnant etc?

thanxs for the congrats lol
do any of u know why she just had eggs tho, they was just like round bits of jelly

thanxs for the congrats lol
do any of u know why she just had eggs tho, they was just like round bits of jelly

The dead fry and eggs is not a good sign, it could mean that she dilvered too early or was generally too stressed at various points in her pregnancy. How many gallons is the tank and what is its stocking (numbers, types and sizes of fish etc)? Did you put her in a breeding net or anything while she was pregnant etc?

i have a 42 gallon tank with 6 guppies, 2 mollies, 6 platies, 5 neons and 2 plecos (6ins)
i put her in a breeding net for the last couple of days as the other molly wouldnt leave her alone

i have a 42 gallon tank with 6 guppies, 2 mollies, 6 platies, 5 neons and 2 plecos (6ins)
i put her in a breeding net for the last couple of days as the other molly wouldnt leave her alone

Does the other molly happen to be a male?

edit: Keeping mollys in breeding nets, even for short periods of time, is not adviseable as it causes a lot of stress to fish like mollys, particularly when they are near the end of their pregnancy.
I suspect that your other molly is a male molly, it is advisable you have at least 2-3females per male with livebearers like mollys for reasons like to help reduce males over-harrassing the females like yours did. I would definately advise getting another 2-3female mollys for your tank to help prevent this happening in the future, as you cannot keep the female in the breeding net every time she gets pregnant otherwise she may continue to have poor batchs of fry, which may have a negative toll on her health in the long term (it is also not unknown for mollys to die during giving birth if things get too difficult/stressful for them).

thanx 4 ur help, will get more females soon

Good luck with getting the new females :good: , try to avoid heavily pregnant ones or ones that look like they've just given birth when you go to your local fish store, as that way you will have a better chance of getting females which will acclimatise easier to your tank :nod: . Any mollys whose health looks iffy/suspicious, avoid, as mollys in petshops now days tend to carry a whole variety of deseases and parasites, so you must be careful when choosing new mollys; if any of the fish in the petshop molly tank/s have whitespot/ich, curved/bent spines, inflamed anus, sunken looking belly, white/stringy poop etc, avoid them as these sorts of symptoms often point to highly infectious or difficult to treat parasites and deseases etc.

i only ever go to 1 fish store, have done for years. but thanx for pionting out what to look out for.
at the mo ive moved the female into my baby tank so she will be left alone to recover.
all 6 babies seem to be doing well.
thanx again you been really helpfull.xx

Most reactions

Back