Molly And Platy Tank Size Question

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, had a question how many platies and mollies can i keep in a 37 gallon? Is it a ideal tank size? Thanks

Hello Roll. I don't think you can safely put more than 8 to 10 small fish in 37 gallons of water. The Mollies aren't very tolerant of less than perfect water conditions. You'll need to follow a very frequent water change routine to keep the water clean enough for a Molly. Platys are a much hardier fish and can manage in a tank that gets fewer and smaller water changes. If the tank was mine, I'd get six of one or the other of these and make sure to change half the tank water at least weekly. But, this is just one opinion. I'm really not a fan of small tanks. There's not enough water in them to allow for a missed water change or some other mistake in tank management.

Hello Roll. I don't think you can safely put more than 8 to 10 small fish in 37 gallons of water. The Mollies aren't very tolerant of less than perfect water conditions. You'll need to follow a very frequent water change routine to keep the water clean enough for a Molly. Platys are a much hardier fish and can manage in a tank that gets fewer and smaller water changes. If the tank was mine, I'd get six of one or the other of these and make sure to change half the tank water at least weekly. But, this is just one opinion. I'm really not a fan of small tanks. There's not enough water in them to allow for a missed water change or some other mistake in tank management.

My water conditions will be fine and tank management will be taken care of, i am prepared for that, its just that can platies and mollies be fine in a 37 gallon?

Platies would be fine in 37g. Mollies, the smaller varieties yes, the bigger ones no. Some of those Sailfin types can get too big.

Is it 37 US or UK?

Platies would be fine in 37g. Mollies, the smaller varieties yes, the bigger ones no. Some of those Sailfin types can get too big.

Is it 37 US or UK?
37 US gallons.. i have gold panda mollies, not sure what u mean by smaller varieties, i could send you a photo of the molly I have if you want reference. Also did you think I was referring to 37 liters? 😅

Last edited:
UK gallons are bigger than US gallons so a 37 UK gallon tank is bigger than a 37 US gallon tank :)
37 UK gallons = 44.4 US gallons.

Also did you think I was referring to 37 liters? 😅

No. You said 37 gallons in your first post.

The orange types are quite small I think, they should be ok.

No. You said 37 gallons in your first post.

The orange types are quite small I think, they should be ok.
It isn’t orange its yellow. Its like this one

Attachments

• IMG_4187.jpeg
    IMG_4187.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4189.jpeg
    IMG_4189.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 15
Sizewise, they should be fine in there... if you won't put in a high number of them.

Most reactions

Back