mollies

newfie

Reaction score
hi everyone,i am new here and new to tropical fish keeping.i got a black and white molly and was wondering is it a neccesity to add salt in the water.i also have a bala shark and dont want to hurt him with the salt.

uhhh..lol im not sure weather salt is nesisery but it is recommended by the lfs owners, i would just add a lil at a time so ur bala can adjust but it shouldnt hurt him if hes a tropical fish.

o, lol well that sucks. iv never had balas b4. id just try the mollys with out salt then. but do reserch first i could be wrong again.

mollies these days dont necessarily need salt. in the wild, they are a bw fish, true, but most mollies today are not wild caught, they are tank raised and usually raised as fw fish. check with the store you buy them from to be sure (think in the uk many places stillkeep them bw, but in the us they tend to be more fw). salt won't hurt them by any means, and will help if they have illnesses or what not, but don't need it to thrive. since you have them with fish that can't tolerater salt, don't worry about it. i keep mine exclusively fw without problems.

others WILL debate this with me to be sure, but this is based on my personal experience with mollies.........................

Most reactions

Back