Mollies in a 10 Gallon

RZS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help, and for making this an excellent resource.

My question is how many silver mollies can you keep in a 10 gallon long?

They'll be in there alone, unless there is need for a plec or something similar.

Thanks again.

I would say three is the best number to keep them in. 2 females to one male. However, if they get to 3+" in the tank, then you might have problems. It should be ok, though, as long as you maintain good water conditions.

Chances are that you will have flakes drop to the bottom with onyl a few fish. Therefore you might want to get ghost shrimp (about the only bottom feeder I would add to that tank since the bioload would get too high with corydoras). However, this should not be a reason to overfeed, though. This is just a measure to prevent food from polluting the tank (though the excrement would pollute just as much).

Tempestuousfury said:
I would say three is the best number to keep them in. 2 females to one male. However, if they get to 3+" in the tank, then you might have problems. It should be ok, though, as long as you maintain good water conditions.

Chances are that you will have flakes drop to the bottom with onyl a few fish. Therefore you might want to get ghost shrimp (about the only bottom feeder I would add to that tank since the bioload would get too high with corydoras). However, this should not be a reason to overfeed, though. This is just a measure to prevent food from polluting the tank (though the excrement would pollute just as much).
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

I have Molly fry in a 10 gallon, and just wanted to know how long I could leave them in there before moving them into either my 20 or 55 gallon communities.

There are only 7, and right now they're only a couple weeks old.

;)

So it's a fry tank? I was just about to post saying a 10 gal is too small for mollies, but a fry tank changes things. :p

How many you can keep depends on how big they are and how often you do water changes. Fry tanks (usually) get more frequent water changes and the fry are small, so you can keep quite a few in there. I'm not going to give any numbers, because I'm not sure how big your molly fry need to be before they're moved (depends on the size of the other fish).

Morrgan said:
So it's a fry tank? I was just about to post saying a 10 gal is too small for mollies, but a fry tank changes things. :p

How many you can keep depends on how big they are and how often you do water changes. Fry tanks (usually) get more frequent water changes and the fry are small, so you can keep quite a few in there. I'm not going to give any numbers, because I'm not sure how big your molly fry need to be before they're moved (depends on the size of the other fish).
Hi,

Thanks for the info. :D

I just didn't want to let the fry out-grow the 10 gallon before I moved them into the larger tank with their mother, but there are some larger fish in there (with the mother) that would make them a snack if I move them when they are too small.

:)

Most reactions

Back