mollies, guppys, platys and swordtails

cassandra said:
i was wondering would all livebearers go good together, i heard gupps are really easy to breed is that true i want fry so bad (i want to be a mommy :D lol)
They will be happy together. But there's always a risk that they will breed guppy/molly. But that's pretty unusual I think.

I've heard somewhere that gups don't do to well with swordtails. I'm not sure though because right now I only have gups and mollies and they are doing ok.

They should do fine together! and like Nallen said it is pritty unusual for them to breed together! erm YES guppys breed really really good and fast! becouse i had guppys an there was only one male and 3 females and they all got breg in one week! and then i went to petsmart like 2 months ago i got a really really preg guppy and she started to push out the babys 2 days later but you have to watch becouse the guppy i had had one baby stuck in her for 7 days but them i came home from school and there are babys swiming around the tank!

i heard gupps are really easy to breed is that true i want fry so bad (i want to be a mommy lol)

Do u really want a heap of guppys? they would be nice at first and then get horrible to look at with so many of them!!

snotirl said:
i heard gupps are really easy to breed is that true i want fry so bad (i want to be a mommy  lol)

Do u really want a heap of guppys? they would be nice at first and then get horrible to look at with so many of them!!
Heh... Won't it be the same with your swordtails ? ;)

ye but swordtails have style and are nice than plain old guppys! :lol:

cassandra i have the same problem so i jus bought the biggest fattest guppy i find. i kno that if u buy really preg. females something bad can happen

i have had my very preg one for like over a week but nothing so far.

mines are very small but preg...

do these small ones take longer than the big ones?? and if yes, then why?

Shall i increase their daily diet?

I have a couple male swordtails and they always nip at each other. I originally thought I was buying a pair, one of each sex, but one decided to have a sex change and now its two males.

Breeding guppies is easy because they do it on their own. My guppies aren't as voracious about fry eating as my swordtails. The swordtails are constantly on the look out for new things to eat. The fry that I really liked are in a separate ten gallon tank. The fry that I couldn't catch are on their own in the community tank.

See, when the sword changes sex.. Does the sword appear on the tail?? and if it does how long does it take to fully grow??

What if a male changes to female? wot happens to the sword then?? Does that shirnk to a normal tail??

UM3R said:
What if a male changes to female? wot happens to the sword then?? Does that shirnk to a normal tail??
UM3R,

Swords dont have sex changes.Sometimes some of the males are late bloomers,and some people may think they are young females and later on realized they have a male.
Just to illustrate this.....Not too long ago I was about to buy a few gree/blue montezumae-"montys".The breeder was going to sell me a few 1inch long swords.She could not sex them yet,for montys are the giants among swortails,adult males meassure up to 8 inches from head to tip of the tail.She told me that it would take well over a year before male achieve their giagantic size,and that she would wait over six month before she could accurately tell the sex.

ramasses,

I dont get it.. wot do ppl mean when they say... "my sword changed her sex."

this really confuses me.

i thought if there werent enough males the female changes sex. thats wot mu LFS said.

I'm wondering if I@ve got a rogue male swordy that hasn't yet deveoled properly...I'm supposed to have 1 male and 2 females, but the females that are supposed to be females look totally different...one female looks more like the male (only without the tail) waiting for them to gro to see what happens I think...!

Also, I don't know how true it is, but vback to the interbreeding issue, I have heard that swordys and mollies interbreed, I know someone who claimed to ahve one....not seen it yet myself tho...! ;)

Most reactions

Back