Mollie In Distress

rubberdoofa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
unsure wether this is an emergancy question but i guess some one will move it if its not :good:
one of my Mollies is having problems, she has given birth to many babies all live fully developed etc i noticed a day ago that she has a whit spot where the babies came from.do female fish have viginas are they called that :blush: well any way two males have been poking around her and upsetting her but she got more distressed if i take her out so have left her alone to see whats going on and to be truthfull lit looks like and i know its going to sound stupid but it does look like the males have half eatten a baby being born and its stuck she does lay on the bottom of the tank wiggling about at times looking very distressed im not happy and need to know how to help her out there have been no babies since she still has a big belly but not as much , what do you think i can do :-(

Sounds painful. As its been partially eaten you can assume its dead and get a pair of tweezers, catch the fish in a net and hold her so she doesnt flap around and see if you can gently pull it out.
Cant think of another way to do it, but if you dont then you could lose the female.

How long now has it been there?

Sounds painful. As its been partially eaten you can assume its dead and get a pair of tweezers, catch the fish in a net and hold her so she doesnt flap around and see if you can gently pull it out.
Cant think of another way to do it, but if you dont then you could lose the female.

How long now has it been there?

she gave birth to the others 4 days ago they are all fine she gave birth in the tank so i left her in and scooped out any fry i found, she looked fine all the way through so didnt interfere although i noticed her rushing about 2 days after the babies where born looked like more was on the way so kept an eye on her saw no more babies in the tank so left her be and yesterday i thought she was having a major poo but when nothing came away and she was still distressed i took a closer look the males have been mooching around her back end alot and i noticeda white spot at her opening and it really looks like a half eatten baby there isnt anything left on the outside to tweeze out looks like it needs picking out instead :sick: shes still distressed i cant catch her either i may have to dismantle my aquascaping to get at her .i think its been there for at least 2 days now :-( do i need to sterilize the tweezers?

Are you sure it's a baby? It's normal for female fish to have a white spot there. It's their oviduct.

i doubt a male mollie could bite through mollie fry, they dont have teeth. However it could be stuck, this is a common problem in balloon mollies i hear, if thats what you have. If you have a good local fish store i would bag it up and take it in for a diagnosis, if something needs tweezing they will be more confident doing it.

i doubt a male mollie could bite through mollie fry, they dont have teeth. However it could be stuck, this is a common problem in balloon mollies i hear, if thats what you have. If you have a good local fish store i would bag it up and take it in for a diagnosis, if something needs tweezing they will be more confident doing it.

oh thatnks will do that asap, as for a white spot to be normal at the back end of the fish well ive not heard that befor, whats it called?
I know it sounds daft about it being bitten but had no other way of explaining what i saw at the time :-S, i guess the lads would of only given it a nasty suck LMAO

It can be called an "egg spot".. well I guess in livebearers that term isn't quite accurate :p It's just the oviduct.

You shouldnt be able to see anything hanging out the fish. Egglayers have white spots and its called an ovipositor and is a tube where the eggs come from. Livebearers dont have them. Its straight out the birth canal/vent

Most reactions

Back