Mixing Salt Water

Uriel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
How long after you add salt to water can you

A) Test the salinity

B) Add to tank

I want it to add to a live rock curing tank rather than actual reef tank. I know they reccomend leaving it over night but i really need more salt water to cover the last bits of rock.

How long after you add salt to water can you

A) Test the salinity

B) Add to tank

I want it to add to a live rock curing tank rather than actual reef tank. I know they reccomend leaving it over night but i really need more salt water to cover the last bits of rock.

Once water up to temp then add salt. Leave for 30 min then test and go from there. That's what I do and by testing more frequent, it's quicker to determine how much you need to get to the right salinity level.
Once salinity at right level and up to temp then leave it for 12 hrs min and test salinity again. If all good then it's ready to add to your tank.
The mire flow you have in the mixing container then obviously the quicker it mixes. I get around 16x turn over.
This is what I do and it works for me but other people might have different methods.

Now I now how much salt to add I can have my container up to temp and salinity within 3 hrs.

PS have you had a chance to look at the stickies yet as I ain't had chance so far!

Is 12 hours the minimum though as i have bits of live rock i'm having to pour water over with a cup to keep wet ?

Is 12 hours the minimum though as i have bits of live rock i'm having to pour water over with a cup to keep wet ?

That's what I've read but tbh once the water is up to temp (ish) and salinity is at 1.022 min then I think you will be good to go.

I will probably get slated here but :)

I have never heated my RO and salt. I know that 2 large cups of salt and 25 liters of Ro give me my required SG. I usually leave circulating with a powerhead for a few hours and then drip feed into my system.

I will probably get slated here but :)

I have never heated my RO and salt. I know that 2 large cups of salt and 25 liters of Ro give me my required SG. I usually leave circulating with a powerhead for a few hours and then drip feed into my system.

I thought that a change in temp affected the salinity of the water but of not then sod it, I'll mix mine without a heater from now one. I could have it mixed in an hour that way

I thought that a change in temp affected the salinity of the water but of not then sod it, I'll mix mine without a heater from now one. I could have it mixed in an hour that way

It does, Ozzie is a very experiance salty and knows eactly how much salt to put in his ro water to give him the sg he requires. By drip feeding it into his tank it is very different from just sploshing it all in, cold!

I would always say:

heat water to desired temp. salt will disolve quicker
use a powerhead for 12/24 hours for aeration, but in emergencies and as long as the salt is dissolved and more or less correct sg, go for it!

Seffie x

I blame you for telling me i had space in my curing tank for more live rock seffie :p.
Dropped a eheim compact 3000 in the tank and topped it up.

I don't splosh it in either, I syphon it in using a piece of 5mm tube. Takes ages! So should be ok with cold as it is a very small Continous amount. Takes nearly half hour to put 25L in so it shouldn't shock anything as it's gradually introduced!...................next!........., lol

Most reactions

Back