Mixing Plecos

BJC787

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can i keep bristlenose catfish in with a a larger pleco, also can i keep more than one pair of bristlenose catfish in a tank. the tank is a aqua grand 120.

As long as the tank can take the extra plecs with the amount of other fish you have you shouldnt have a problem.

I have 2 x 114's, 1 x 176 and 1 x 183 plecs in my tank and they get along fine (as long as i provide enough caves and hiding places).

so could i have say a trio of albino bristlenose, and trio of peppermint bristlenose maybe also a gold spot pleco(L001)

so could i have say a trio of albino bristlenose, and trio of peppermint bristlenose maybe also a gold spot pleco(L001)

Tank is to small for a gold spot, the trio of common BN's will be fine.

What are the peppermints your referring to?, there are a few species which people in different parts of the world refer to as peppermint plec, so without knowing the actual species you mean, i would be hesitant to say they would be suitable.

the peppermint bristlenose is a form of bristlenose that is black with white spots, why is the tank too small for the gols spot, just woundering because of what i have read says it gets to 20 - 25 cm long

the peppermint bristlenose is a form of bristlenose that is black with white spots, why is the tank too small for the gols spot, just woundering because of what i have read says it gets to 20 - 25 cm long

I presume your UK based the peppermint will be L183 white seam which is commonly named peppermint even though there is a separate BN called that aswell? lol.

The tank is to small.. back to front, gold spots can reach 18 inches+, nearly 50 cm's which isn't enough 'comfortable' room to move around in your tank.

Unless your on about a different species than the L183 ive mentioned then i would be very careful mixing them with common BN's, they can and usually are quite aggressive and when i had my group they singled out my commons and killed them all (this was a 6 foot tank), they are often aggressive to the own kind aswell with alot of reports of males killing females not only while breeding but just becasue there in the same tank.

To basically answer you question, yes the BN's would be ok in that size tank as long as you can avoid any aggression issues with the peppermints.

The gold spot is to big a plec full stop for your tank. Another thing to think about is bioload with all them plecs, a very over powered filter will be needed... They will produce alot of waste.

ok i won't worry about the plec, thanks i forgot about the width to turn around,
i am in australia and pretty sure the peppermint bristlenose are just a colour phase of the bristlenose they get to the same size and look exactly the same.

ok i won't worry about the plec, thanks i forgot about the width to turn around,
i am in australia and pretty sure the peppermint bristlenose are just a colour phase of the bristlenose they get to the same size and look exactly the same.

Everyone i know from Australia that has referred to peppermint BN's are actually called L183 white seamed everywhere else lol.

There not a colour phase/morph of common BN's. There a complete different species and require different conditions in the way of ideal tank settings. There blackwater fish.. but.... they don't need this to thrive, they will quite happily live in the same conditions as commons. Breeding on the other hand is far from as easy to do as it will be with common BN species.

ok thanks i just saw them in a shop and the guy said they were peppermint bristlenose catfish.

Most reactions

Back