Mixing medications??

Brkern

Reaction score
I have a sick goldfish in a 30 gallon tank. The tank is nearly four years old now so it’s well established, ammonia and nitrites are a fairly consistent 0, and I try to keep nitrates around 20 ppm with at least 30% water changes every week.

My goldfish has had long, stringy, white poops twice now which makes me suspect some type of internal parasite. Everywhere I’ve read suggests using API General Cure, but I can’t find it in stock anywhere, in person or online.

I noticed the second stringy white poop this morning, and my goldfish is acting extremely lethargic, laying on the bottom of the tank. I immediately purchased the only medication I was able to get my hands on same-day, which was Tetra’s Lifeguard All-In-One. I then learned about MetroPlex and how it’s one of the two medications in API General Cure, so I went ahead and ordered that, as well as Seachem Focus since I want to make sure my goldfish eats their food once I soak it in the MetroPlex.

So, my question is whether I should continue with the Lifeguard and then add the MetroPlex when it arrives in two days. Is it safe to mix those products? Or do I need to finish the 5 days of the Lifeguard before feeding with the MetroPlex?

I’d complete the Life Guard first. I’ve been having trouble finding General Cure too. I was able to get some at PetSmart.

I checked the internets for Tetra's Lifeguard All in one.
It seems to be able to treat many diseases but not the internal parasites.

Just use the API General cure without the Tetra.
Also, you shouldn't be mixing medications without the manufacturer's advice.
And remember to do a large water change before you start using the API General Cure.

Last edited:
I checked the internets for Tetra's Lifeguard All in one.
It seems to be able to treat many diseases but not the internal parasites.

Just use the API General cure without the Tetra.
Also, you shouldn't be mixing medications without the manufacturer's advice.
And remember to do a large water change before you start using the API General Cure.
@Lajos_Detari OP can’t find any General Cure. That’s the problem.

Here are some information which Colin wrote in the past.

Attachments

• Page1.png
    Page1.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Page2.png
    Page2.png
    256 KB · Views: 122
  • Page3.png
    Page3.png
    244.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Page4.png
    Page4.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 102
Thank you everyone for your replies!
Thankfully my fish isn’t swollen, isn’t breathing heavily, and still eats as they always have. Visually, he looks totally fine and normal except for the fact that he’s laying at the bottom unless it’s feeding time.

I knew that Tetra Lifeguard wouldn’t treat any possible internal parasites, but I truly couldn’t find anything else and I know it’s not a fungal problem.
I only learned about the MetroPlex after I did the first dose of the Lifeguard. I suspected I shouldn’t mix them, but I don’t have much experience with fish medications.

So, perhaps my new question is whether I should complete the Lifeguard in case it is something other than internal parasites and then feed medicated pellets soaked in the Metroplex/Focus after a huge water change and adding carbon to the filter? My only concern is that I won’t be able to find more Lifeguard, since the package I got yesterday was the last one.

Last edited:
Also- potentially silly question, but I don’t want to accidentally kill my fish. Do I need to completely replace my water before adding epsom salt to my tank if I already keep API’s aquarium salt in there? Are they basically the same thing anyway?

I think you can follow Deana's suggestion to complete the Lifeguard just in case there are some bad parasites or bacteria in your tank.

Salt is usually use for treating bacteria or parasites.
When you are using other medication, you don't add salt any more. It's like using two medications at the same time.

And you shouldn't anyhow add salt unless for treatment and the period of treatment shouldn't be longer than 2-3 weeks.
Softwater fish are not able to take salt for longer than 2-3 weeks.(my estimation)

More explanation...

Whenever you change water, the salt will be removed from your tank.
But you shouldnt be adding salt since you are using Lifeguard.

Yes, I added salt about a week ago when I noticed the first stringy poop, since I had read before that it helps with constipation, treating very mild ailments, etc. and there were no other signs of anything wrong. I do not usually put salt in, and I remove it with a series of water changes after a week or two if I do use salt. I did a 50% water change immediately before dosing with the Lifeguard because I had to set up an emergency tank for my Anubias plants and Nerite snails for during treatment. I would have done more water changes, but I just wanted to get the Lifeguard in the tank as soon as possible to try to stop whatever is making my fish sick.

Epsom salt is usually used as a bath outside the tank rather than added to the tank. The fish is left in the bath for up to 10 minutes twice a day. However, if the fish shows signs of distress in less than 10 minutes, it should be taken out immediately.

Aquarium salt is sodium chloride
Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate.

They are different things. And magnesium sulphate will increase GH as magnesium is one of the hardness minerals.

Most reactions

Back