Mixing Goldfish And Betta?

Fish911

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i was just woundering if you can mix a betta with 2 goldfish because i have a 10 gallon tank where my betta lives but its to crouded so i want to move it into the 7-8 gallon tank with my 2 goldfish. My friend has done this and it worked out but i just want to know for sure.Help!!

I wouldn't recommend this as a betta is a tropical fish whereas a goldfish is a coldwater fish. :)

Not only are goldfish a coldwater fish, but they generally have higher amounts of ammonia levels in their waste, so they could pollute your water faster. Bettas also will sometimes tear their fins in a tank that is to large for their ornamental fins. Generally a 1 to 2 gallon will suffice a betta. Also, what species is the goldfish? Most will out grow that 10 gallon eventually, but for a time it will be ok. Hope this helps. :good:

I beg to differ....there are no species of goldfish fit for a 10 gal.
In very simple terms...You should never keep bettas with any other fish ( a general rule). Especially goldfish.

First and foremost:
a. bettas are tropical fish, they prefer warm water
b. goldfish are coldwater, they don't like warm water

Aside from that fact, goldfish get huge...And thus the betta will become a tasty snack for the goldfish. Getting back to the main point of the matter....Goldfish get huge. A single goldfish needs a minimum of 30-40 gals, with an additional 10-20 gals per each additional fish. This isn't including the massive amounts of filtration you need for goldfish because they are extremely messy fish and will produce huge amounts of waste. Keeping 2 goldfish in a 7 gal aquarium is pure negligence and bad fishkeeping. These fish will surely die a slow and horrible death; either from ammonia build up in the water, or stunted growth from being in such cramped quarters.

Also, the betta will see the brightly coloured goldfish as another male betta and will try to attack them. Causing problems for both parties.

I didn't think there was a species that would fit into the 10 gallon, but then again I'm not up on all my goldifsh species either. Snooks1 is right, but soem species of goldfish the lfs usually call "common goldfish" or comet require a pond :hyper:.

looks like someones going shopping for a new tank...a massive one too, now im jelous :(

good luck tho fish 911,
shelagh xxxxx

It's not just about the temperature and the size of the goldfish, though this in itself is enough to make the arrangement unsuitable. It is also that goldfish are extremely active, robust fish whereas a betta needs a bit of peace and quiet.

It's not just about the temperature and the size of the goldfish, though this in itself is enough to make the arrangement unsuitable. It is also that goldfish are extremely active, robust fish whereas a betta needs a bit of peace and quiet.
well my betta is with my tropical fish and he is really hyper. He willmever stop swiming around.

Most reactions

Back