Mixing Africans And South Americans

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up a 3ft dwarf cichlid tank, and owing to the high pH of my tank (between 7.4 - 8.0) I've opted for a few that are pretty comfortable in those conditions. I'll be setting the tank up with sand, a multi cave rock feature, small terracotta pots, 2 or 3 pieces of bogwood and a planted area with java fern. I've tried to go for a reasonable compromise between the needs of the Africans and South Americans. I'm aiming to create a number of small territories that can be colonised as suits each species and have picked species that whilst territorial, aren't too aggressive.

The ones I'm looking at now are listed below:

South Americans
Apistogramma cacatuoides - Cockatoo apisto
Nannacara anomala - Golden eye dwarf cichlid

Africans
Neolamprologus brichardi - Fairy cichlid
Neolamprologus multifasciatus - Shell dweller

I've got the luxury of room in other tanks if anything goes wibble but wondered what the more experienced cichlid keepers thought?
I've cross posted in African cichlids as well to try and get a balanced opinion.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Chris

While they may be the "less agressive" africans, I believe that any african cichlids will beat up on new worlds, especially the more peaceful dwarf species. I wouldn't take the risk in mixing them, but that is more because I really don't have a good feel for the african species.....

Ox :good:

You posted the exact ? in african cichlids...here ya go..may help other people on the New World side who are thinking about the same thing.

Diet aside there is still aggression, the biggest problem with mixing aggressive fish that live in different areas is that they can't read each others signals. Species that live together in nature develop certain signals to communicate with each other, when you mix together fish that don't occur together they can't read each other, so a signal to "leave me alone" for one group won't work with another. This can lead to a lot of chasing and stress, and the important thing to remember with Malawis (and most aggressive cichlids), they can quickly go from tolerant to mass murder.

All that aside, part of the joy of fish keeping is trying out different setups, so as long as you observe closely, have a back up plan, and don't become angry if it doesn't work, I say go for it. :good:
Just thought I'd quote that for you. :)
I'm not one that would mix from different continents. To me, it just seems unnatural.

People mix fish from different continents in any normal community tank - I think the biggest reason africans and south americans aren't mixed is a) because most of them require different water conditions and environments and b) their character. I've put some thought into it and don't see why it wouldn't work, though I'm open to practical reasons. And I have the luxury of being able to rehouse one species if it doesn't work out.

I think the biggest reason africans and south americans aren't mixed is a) because most of them require different water conditions and environments and b) their character.

You have answered your own question, i'm not really sure what needs adding. :/

As stated in the OP, I picked fish that share similar water chemistry requirements, and are relatively placid.

You said that you have back up tanks in case you need to.. so i say go for it.

However, if you want to keep them together, i would do my best to stop any of them from breeding/trying to breed. That could just spell disaster to you. Keep some meds and QT tank ready beforehand just in case.

:good:

The only way to stop them from breeding is getting all female or males imo. The females would be less aggressive than the males.

IMO the brichardi would eventually kill off the other tankmates

why not go for a few different species of apistos??
Apistogramma borellii are a nice alternative to the cockatoos

There are a few more species on this site
dwarf cichlids

It depends on how you keep them. I think putting in larger new worlds with the smallest africans you can find ( I mean young, not just a small species) will help. I put in a 2" Calvus with my 5-6" at the time New Worlds and it's worked out fine. If anything, the Calvus is the more shy one.

I did a bit more digging and realised that Lake Tang (can't spell the rest) cichlids are all pretty much suitable, and theres enough to go along with that. I've got to say I prefer the look overall of the African dwarf cichlids, but I may still try mixing at some point in the future.

Most reactions

Back