Missing Limb?

codeajohnson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to grab some thoughts on this. I bought the two newts about a month ago....and over time I realized that one of them had a disfunctional rear limb. I didn't remember seeing this before hand but that didn't mean it wasn't there. As time went by the limb seemed to kind of shrivel up...and is now missing and there is an open wound at the end. Just wanted to know if this is likely a case of someone preying on him after lights out or just nature taking it's course?! Thanks in advance

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to grab some thoughts on this. I bought the two newts about a month ago....and over time I realized that one of them had a disfunctional rear limb. I didn't remember seeing this before hand but that didn't mean it wasn't there. As time went by the limb seemed to kind of shrivel up...and is now missing and there is an open wound at the end. Just wanted to know if this is likely a case of someone preying on him after lights out or just nature taking it's course?! Thanks in advance

interesting question. if something had eaten the leg, or just a chunk, it would be dead.

i believe that some newts and similar species are able to "detach" their limbs or tails if preditor gets hold of them. The tail or limb then usually regrows to some extent.

i believe that some newts and similar species are able to "detach" their limbs or tails if preditor gets hold of them. The tail or limb then usually regrows to some extent.

yeh good point. the missing leg may be a sign that the newt is about to moult. with this you should see another leg begin to develop. if no, htere are, probably, bigger problems.

Most reactions

Back