Minimum Sized Tank For A Betta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spudgun2k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Want to get a betta for a little tank i have, i know that most male betta are best on there own in smaller tanks as they go mental in large tanks and are teritorial i think.

what is the mimimum they should be in. i have heard 2.5g but wanted to know if that is correct and what decor you would add to a tank this size and what the betta might like in there

thanks in advance.

Technically they can live in the small containers they come in, though their quality of life will be minimal. 2.5 to 5 gallons is a happy size for them or if you wanna spoil it then go for a 10G :good:

It depends on the dimensions, but from standard tank sizes a 12"x8"x8" will be plenty. If you want a filter, a sponge/corner filter will be fine (air powered). Lots of planting, whether real or faux, low lighting, sand bottom. And caves and similar are always appreciated.

I say 5 gallon minimum. I had a betta in one and he loved it! :good:

-Jess

5 gallons is the minimum for Betta splendens :good:

-Lynden
Lynden, you seem obsessed with this 5g business! As plenty of people have pointed out 2g + is plenty big enough for a Betta. If you're determined to put this message across may I suggest starting a new thread with some evidence to back it up.

5 gallons is the minimum for Betta splendens :good:

-Lynden
Lynden, you seem obsessed with this 5g business! As plenty of people have pointed out 2g + is plenty big enough for a Betta. If you're determined to put this message across may I suggest starting a new thread with some evidence to back it up.

Truth be told, I am obsessed with the matter. Obsessed with the fish's welfare, that is. <5 gallons is too small for any fish to be happy in. They still survive (goldfish have been recorded living more than 40 years in fish bowls) and even look healthy. But while people will definetly not reccomend a goldfish bowl for a goldfish (in fact, many members will ferociously flame another member who does this), "tank size rules" are copletely forgotten in the case of Bettas. :(

-Lynden

Thats not true at all! there's a big difference between goldfish and Bettas. Goldfish tend to get to quite a size so a fish bowl is nowhere near ideal, whereas Bettas only get to about 2-3 inches so 2g + is fine. Everybody says about the inch per gallon rule so in my calculations there is nothing wrong with this set up.
You are criticising people when you say you care about animals welfare, assuming that the rest of us are not.
Like I said before, get some concrete evidence and maybe all us Betta keepers will take note!

i dont think she was saying goldfish are anything like bettas.

jus making a point.

i keep my betta in an 8 gallon long and he constantly swims about so sometimes i wish he had something even bigger.

he was in my hex but its about 19" tall and he didnt use the depth but still used the horizontal space.

fish are meant to swim, not sit in tubs or vases.

I say 1 gallon absolute minimum.

having said that i personally wouldn't put one in anything smaller than a 5 long term.

There is no such thing as tank size rules. Being responsible completely for the creatures we care for, its our own choice what we do and our own opinions on whether that is acceptable or not. Considering that we find it perfectly acceptable to keep fish from wide, open rivers, lakes, similar, in tanks at all is proof that our morals are very blurred, someone from PETA, for instance, would find it appaling. Some people say it's much better in captivity than in the wild- abundant food, (generally) no predators, and a general lack of problems faced in the wild. Which is true, to an extent. If you're going to say that, then any tank size arguement becomes obselete, really- by that POV the fish is still getting a much better deal than in the wild. And if you don't follow that school of thought, why are you keeping fish anyway :lol:

But since we're on the betta tangent, lets think about bettas. Since true wild B. Splendens (and not fancy strains or problematic hybrids) are very rare, 'the wild' as we know it has never existed to their minds. We might as well call the fish farms in which they are 'mass produced' the wild, because thats all they've ever known. Comparison? Much larger volume, for a start. From Atison Betta, a high quality fish breeder.
setup3.jpg

Now from that, downsize to a mass, low quality breeder for most lfs's. Y'see?

Water quality. Well, smaller volume, higher waste concentration, in general. Much larger volume in home tank, regular water changes... Much 'better' if you like.

Mental stimulation- well, the tanks are pretty bare. If anything, most only have a sprig of plant. Home tank? Lots of decorations. Owner interaction. Overall, a much better stimulated fish.

And space? Territory is territory- if a wild betta found a small but easily defended and prosperous area, that's be territory. Space isn't important to territory- its whats in it and how easily you can keep it. Add to that the huge fins of most varieties- much less mobility. Lynden, your morals seem great in theory but when you compare them to your own experiences (none), decent evidence and your own fishkeeping, your arguements are pants.

Thats not true at all! there's a big difference between goldfish and Bettas. Goldfish tend to get to quite a size so a fish bowl is nowhere near ideal, whereas Bettas only get to about 2-3 inches so 2g + is fine. Everybody says about the inch per gallon rule so in my calculations there is nothing wrong with this set up.
You are criticising people when you say you care about animals welfare, assuming that the rest of us are not.
Like I said before, get some concrete evidence and maybe all us Betta keepers will take note!

The inch per gallon rule has little to do with it- I don't know of anyone that would recommend keeping a 2 inch danio in a 2 gallon tank. There are various reasons why people would keep a betta in a smaller tank than they would allow for any other fish:

bettas are not very enthusiastic swimmers (unlike danios)

they can breathe oxygen from the air (unlike say guppies who can easily suffer from oxygen deficiency)

they can cope with the fluctuating water stats of a small tank (though not with dirty water)

Personally, I don't feel qualified to pronounce either way as to whether the above reasons are enough to house a betta in a 2 gallon tank or not, having never kept one in such a small tank.

mine is in a 9G. he uses the whole space constantly and is always tearing about the place. proper nutter.
i certainly wouldnt concider having one in less than this having seen how he uses the space. each to their own though, but i know i would prefer a bigger tank to a tidgy one

The point I was trying to make to Lynden was the criticism of Betta keepers. This is not the first time he has basically accused Betta keepers of not caring very much for their fish.
My Bettas are kept in 4g tanks and are all very healthy but I have heard of other people keeping them in smaller tanks and also having healthy fish.
I love all my fish and want to look after the best that I can and to have someone like Lynden criticising gets my back up!
Anyway, I shall no longer hijack this thread. My apologies for doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back