Minimum Size For Qt Tank.

rick5988

Reaction score
Hi Im thinking of setting up a QT tank, sick of getting sick fish from my LFS, So If you would be kind to know what the very least size I would need ( very little room), And what else Filter heater Etc. Thanks people.

There isn't a set standard. IMO it just has to be big enough to house the fish temporarily. I would go with the biggest you can get, simply because I find it hard to keep little tanks. Bare bottom will reduce maintainace, a simple non submersible heater will do, and a sponge filter.

Hi Im thinking of setting up a QT tank, sick of getting sick fish from my LFS, So If you would be kind to know what the very least size I would need ( very little room), And what else Filter heater Etc. Thanks people.

It really all depends on what you think are going to be the biggest fish being quarantined/hospitalized. If you only own guppies for example, and are going to stick to similar sized fish, a 5-10 gallon would suffice. If you are setting something up for example a tank full of large Cichlids you would definitely need to go for something bigger.

As for equipment, all that is needed is a simple sponge filter, and a simple heater (correct wattage for tank size.)

Looking at your fish in your signiture, you might want to have a slightly bigger one for the angels, and kissing gouramis as they get a decent size.

Looking at the signature in your post, you really need to consider getting rid of the shark and the silver dollars. Other than that, you should be fine.

They aint stayin in that tank forever? I do realise how big they grow, but for now they seem ok in those tanks til I can get the room to set a large one up.

They aint stayin in that tank forever? I do realise how big they grow, but for now they seem ok in those tanks til I can get the room to set a large one up.

Just so you know, the Kissing Gourami are going to get to be 9 or 10 inches once fully grown.

For those fish you have listed (excluding the Kissing Gourami) a tank of 15-20 gallons should do the trick.

Most reactions

Back