Mini Discus

its okay debree. no hard feelings. i can understand why you are saying this but i have been getting lots of different opinions actually. some poeple say plecos are fine with them some say they arent. some people say i can put other fish with them when others say they should be alone. i have been cycling for a week now and i am going to wait 2-3 more weeks till i get the discus. i am going to try my best effort with these guys and if thats not enough then i will take them back

its okay debree. no hard feelings. i can understand why you are saying this but i have been getting lots of different opinions actually. some poeple say plecos are fine with them some say they arent. some people say i can put other fish with them when others say they should be alone. i have been cycling for a week now and i am going to wait 2-3 more weeks till i get the discus. i am going to try my best effort with these guys and if thats not enough then i will take them back
The information you are getting is based upon peoples personal expericences and opionions. Two facts on plecos

1. They produce ALOT of waste, which if built up can stunt Discus and may result in the death of them.
2. They can from what i've heard suck on the fishes side. Up to you if you want to take the chance. I dont understand why someone would want a fish that could put another into danger. Doesnt seem like good fishkeeping to me :no:

dont know if you read the whole artyicle but im not getting the plecs anymore, getting 2 longfin albino bn's which i have heard do not suck on the sides of the discus

getting 2 longfin albino bn's which i have heard do not suck on the sides of the discus

longfin albino bristlys are awesome! i have a female and will prolly get more eventually
just make sure you put a bit of driftwood in with them to aid in their digestion!
sounds like youre starting to really sort this out :good:
it is incredibly hard in a hobby like this one when there are so many conflicting theories, and the fact that some people dont run into major problems when doing really stoopid things-out of luck or hardiness of fish usually-that then gives them the idea that its perfectly fine
for instance, i know this guy who had mollies in a goldfish bowl, NO filtration, NO aeration(apart from a twiggy bit of bamboo growing out of it like a vase!) and he DID NOT even treat the tapwater for chlorine/choramine! when he did water changes it was the whole lot,and it was only cos it would look grotty
Not supprisingly all his fish died after a water change one day, and when i tried to tell him that chlorine is kinda toxic and is prolly what killed them
he said NO it wasnt that cos hes done heeps of water changes before and the fish hadnt died in the 5 months he had had them :-( :no:
theres no telling some people!

This is a good site..hope it helps...
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

thats horrible. yeah the longfin albino bn's look awesome. it is incredibly hard getting two different sides. thank you debree good website

nice, would love to see more :good: that pic looks more yellow than white.

i actually already read the first one but not the second

a bit late, but basically there are two species of discus.
the commonly known Heckel discus stay slightly smaller than the 'green' discus ( many common names given for both)
but even the heckel will grow to about 6".
Not for the begginer fish keeper.
Dan

im not a begginer fish keeper ive been keeping them since i was 6

By begginer i mean new to the more advanced levels of fish keeping. You are aware you are going to have to buy the water to use for water changes,
feed 3 - 4 times a day and keep the water quality perfect. Discus are not the easiest fish to keep and are not the cheapest things to mess around with.

i know. i will most likely buy RO water from my lfs instead of get the system and i will be trying to do water changes 2-3 times a week.

dont know if you read the whole artyicle but im not getting the plecs anymore, getting 2 longfin albino bn's which i have heard do not suck on the sides of the discus

Matt it's obvious you know nothing at all about fishkeeping, bristlenose are pleco, it's just most people say the smaller plecos wont suck to the Discus. I agree with DeBree420 that its completley obvious you haven't been keeping fish since you were six and that you don't know what you are talknig about so please stop pretending, we can see right through your lies...

Most reactions

Back