Milky/murky Water

You should change th water - you'll remove the bacteria from the water and also remove excessive ammonia/nitrIte.

Post your readings for these BTW - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Ammonia and nitrIte are toxic to fish - deadly even - and should always measure 0ppm. It may help you to read the link in my signature about cycling and new tank syndrome.

Now, while water changes may prolong the cycling process (seeing as you've killed off all the good bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrIte and then to nitrAte by removing all the water and by replacing the filter), because they remove waste (ammonia/nitrIte), they are essential for your fish' health. Like I said before, these substances are highly toxic and, until the tank re-cycles (ie: the good bacteriua grow back again), you need to keep their concentration low by doing regular water changes - for the sake of the fish.

The bacterial bloom is simply the result of waste in the water and is likely to be followed by a period of green water before clearing up. Water changes WILL improve the situation. While the huge water change/filter replacement were resposible for it appearing in the first place, water changes now can only improve the situation.

Once again, I encourage you to read through teh links in my signature - all should prove useful to you in some way and help you udnerstand what is going on in your tank. If you're still not sure, search the beginner's forum for 'cycling' or ask. :)

I understand what you saying and I know everything your saying and everything posted in those link. My LFS is extremely knowledgeable and has taught me very well. Like I said I even hired a professional recommend to be by the store (the guy who was supposed to do from the store was killed in a HORRIBLE car accident a few weeks ago).

As I have the bio wheel in my tank that contains two years of bacterica my tank should not take very long at all to cycle. I will do water tests in less then two hours and post all the results here.

Here are the test results:

PH - 6.8-7.0 (soooo close to 7.0 but not quite)
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5

And the water is almost crystal clear now. I wouldnt even say its milky anymore just not as clear as it usually is after a fresh water change.

Here are the test results:

PH - 6.8-7.0 (soooo close to 7.0 but not quite)
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 5

And the water is almost crystal clear now. I wouldnt even say its milky anymore just not as clear as it usually is after a fresh water change.
Good, glad to hear your water is almost perfect again Courtnie! :thumbs:

I was a little worrid this morning cuz the power went out in the middle of the night but when I checked the tank the water looked perfect :) Looks like I worrid for nothing!

There is a lot of hand prints and water marks on the outside glass and I was told to never use windex to clean it... any suggestions on what to clean it with?

I was a little worrid this morning cuz the power went out in the middle of the night but when I checked the tank the water looked perfect :) Looks like I worrid for nothing!

There is a lot of hand prints and water marks on the outside glass and I was told to never use windex to clean it... any suggestions on what to clean it with?
Ive been cleaning the outside of my tanks for about 2 years now with just normal glass cleaner... Spray some onto a bit of kitchen roll so your not spraying it near your tank, and just wipe it clean - no worries!! :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back