Might Start Again!

MLS_2595

Reaction score
:) hi!
so, after 2 years of not having any aquariums set up, i decided id get back into it! :D i firstly thought id set up my small 20 liter and have a betta in it. however, after visiting a local lfs today and descovering the most beautiful german blue rams that i instantly fell inlove with, :wub: i thought why not pull out one of my bigger tanks!? :rolleyes:

so, i have a 40ltr and a 60ltr aquarium, which would be more suitable if any for a pair of these beautiful rams, they were so tiny but beautiful colouring, they were only around 3cm long bless them! if id have got my tank already set up and cycled id have got them, but couldnt put them in a cyling tank, just too cruel! :/

so, any advice on what stock i could have with these rams, obviously for both the 40ltr and 60ltr. and which tank would be better. i know you'll all suggest the bigger tank, so would i, but truthfully, i havent really got the space. so if the 40ltr would be ok, i would thank you for your honesty rather simply for the vote of the bigger tank. :)

thanks alot!
MLS-2595

40L doesn't really sound all that big. They set up territories and the more space you give them the better

i know, the more space the better, but im talking about 2 rams, 1 male 1 female if possible, a little cleaner and maybe a small group of neon tetras or some small little shoal in there with them, if even that. i am fully aware that i dont in any way shape or form want to overstock, and if the rams would really suffer more in my 40 litre tank than id maybe consider not getting them and getting a trio of honey gouramis with some little shoal and a cleaner. :)

i just saw these little guys in the over crowded tiny lffs tank and thought id like to rescue them and put them in a more spatious little home :blush: plus, iv never had rams before, and have loved my honey gouramis in the past and just thought i wouldnt mind the change, however, if it would just make the rams suffer in the longrun by housing them then im sure id get over it :rolleyes:

so would the 40 litre really not be appropriate in any way?
thanks
MLS_2595 :)

I have used 40 litre (10 gallon) size tanks as breeding tanks for Blue Rams and Gold Rams. But, I would not put a shoal of Neons in with a pair in that small of a tank. Once the Rams start spawning (and they will,) they will start putting the smack down on the Neons. I think the same thing would happen in the 60 litre. You could put one Ram in the 40, and 6 Neons, and have no problems, or one Ram and 10 Neons in the 60, depending on it's shape. The other option is to just have the pair of Rams in either tank. Another thing to consider is that Neons prefer water that is 23-24c, whereas Rams prefer 27-28c (hope I got my conversions right.)

I have used 40 litre (10 gallon) size tanks as breeding tanks for Blue Rams and Gold Rams. But, I would not put a shoal of Neons in with a pair in that small of a tank. Once the Rams start spawning (and they will,) they will start putting the smack down on the Neons. I think the same thing would happen in the 60 litre. You could put one Ram in the 40, and 6 Neons, and have no problems, or one Ram and 10 Neons in the 60, depending on it's shape. The other option is to just have the pair of Rams in either tank. Another thing to consider is that Neons prefer water that is 23-24c, whereas Rams prefer 27-28c (hope I got my conversions right.)

aw fab! so i could have a pair of rams in a 10 gallon tank! perfect! what if the rams were two females or a trio of the same breed, i know males might fight, but what about females together? would they not bother the neons then? and well tbh, my thermometer is set at 25-26c so its in the middle for both really. also if the neons are just a no-no. what other fish would be ok? would a little group of ottos or a couple of corys be ok with them?

My experience has been that the females will still make a nest and lay eggs, even if the other Rams are female. Of course they won't hatch, but there still might be aggression then. Cardinal Tetras would be a better match as far as temperature goes. Cories like it a little cooler,and should be in shoals, so might not work out so well in your smaller tanks. Maybe someone could recommend a warm water cat that would work good in this situation, that doesn't get too big and does good singly or in pairs?

My experience has been that the females will still make a nest and lay eggs, even if the other Rams are female. Of course they won't hatch, but there still might be aggression then. Cardinal Tetras would be a better match as far as temperature goes. Cories like it a little cooler,and should be in shoals, so might not work out so well in your smaller tanks. Maybe someone could recommend a warm water cat that would work good in this situation, that doesn't get too big and does good singly or in pairs?
I've been recommended getting a trio of ottos in there as they don't get too big.

r e

Most reactions

Back